Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY and unemployment

slapenta
Level 2

Has any tried to finish a client that has NY unemployment? I have a few that I put on hold to see if NY was going to approve the reduction of $10,200 like the federal. They have been saying no, but after the budget was approved early Wednesday morning....it was official. NY was de coupling from the feds as far as unemployment was concerned.

So, I figured I could now finish the returns. Lo and behold.....Lacerte, in it's infinite wisdom, has the $10,200 reduction on the NY state return. I spent over 1 hour on the phone with Lacerte and all I got was it's a software issue that the programmers have to work on.

Are you kidding me....it should NEVER have been assumed that NY was going to follow the feds. SHAME ON THE PROGRAMMERS.

I have never said "this is unacceptable" more times this year speaking with Lacerte than in all the 20+ years I have used this program. For the amount of money I am paying, we should be getting white glove service. HA HA

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
slapenta
Level 2

I found the solution to my problem with no help from Lacerte. It was there all along and even my "expert" tech didn't see it. It is Form IT-558.

Spent 1 hour that I couldn't afford with tech support. He didn't see it...but neither did I.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
BobKamman
Level 15

Are you sure?  ProSeries is adding it back in, although it's not that clear where it's coming from -- as I recall, there is a Form IT-558.

0 Cheers
slapenta
Level 2

I am sure. It shows as a $10,200 deduction on both the Fed and NY side of the IT203.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

So you're doing a nonresident NY return?  Was the unemployment paid by New York?

0 Cheers
slapenta
Level 2

Yes. It is a NJ resident who worked in NY and then received NY unemployment. Lacerte has the reduction of $10,200 which not correct for NY. They just announced yesterday that they are not conforming with the Feds.

0 Cheers
slapenta
Level 2

I found the solution to my problem with no help from Lacerte. It was there all along and even my "expert" tech didn't see it. It is Form IT-558.

Spent 1 hour that I couldn't afford with tech support. He didn't see it...but neither did I.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

That is what I suggested in my first post.  

0 Cheers