Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notary and QBI deduction

khedges
Level 1

Hello,

Has there been any concrete guidance published on whether notary income is considered a "a business" for purposes of the QBI deduction.  (As public service work is not considered "a business" subject to SE tax).  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
BobKamman
Level 15

No, you can still ask three tax preparers and get four different answers.  The people who write the Regulations have bigger questions to ponder, even when California notaries can collect $15 per stamp.

rbynaker
Level 13

Unicorns might exist, but I've never seen one.  Certainly nothing that rises to the level of a trade or business.  Are you saying you have a client with a thriving notary business that pays the mortgage and puts food on the table?

BobKamman
Level 15
khedges
Level 1

They own a bunch of UPS stores and have well over $150k of notary income.  

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Can you explain how the money flows?

If I walk into a UPS store and pay the store $10 to have a document notarized, I'm pretty sure that's just regular income to the store.  If, instead, I pay the individual at the desk (who is also a notary) $10 personally for notary services, then that particular individual may fall under the SE exception as a fee-based official (but they need to keep detailed records segregating notary income from other income).  Unless your client with "a bunch of UPS stores" is the one doing the notarizing, I think it's just going to be trade or business income.

Just my $0.02 worth.

khedges
Level 1

The employees do the notary services.  The services are rung up as notary service income.  There is POS for all UPS stores so the income goes to a separate GL account, but as a bulk journal for the day.

0 Cheers
jenhorton
Level 3

I found the answer - Notary Services are not eligible for QBI.

Refer to this section of the law:  Treasury Regulations/Subchapter A/Part 1/Section 1.1402(c)-2:

"... the performance of the functions of a public office does not constitute a trade or business."

Section 2 offers an exception; however, the two last sentences in Section 1.1402(c)-2-(a)(2)(ii)(B)(b) describing the exception state the answer clearly:

"(However, the service of a notary public could not be made the subject of a section 218 agreement under the Social Security Act because notaries are not "employees" within the meaning of that section.  Accordingly, such service does not constitute a trade or business.)"

Notary Publics are not eligible for the QBI deduction.  IMHO