Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non existing 1095-A

Tax Lady Sully
Level 2

E-filed my client back in mid March and we patiently waited for their return status/refund to move. 3 days ago they receive the notice that they need to submit their 1095-A and related form.  I'm sure many of you have seen this before (I know I have) however, they did not have Covered California services during 2019 and just to be sure I had them call Marketplace and double check.  We haven't been able to get through to IRS and as I've never had this happen before looking for new options/answers to fix this.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tax Lady Sully
Level 2

So after all this I re-query my client and learn that the Covered California (CC) agent told her that if she hadn't received the form there was no reason to look it up.  I've had her re contact CC and yes they did have one. So one to the normal mode of corrections.  Thank you for the assist anyway!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

IRS has record of a a 1095A being issued to someone on their tax return, maybe the spouse or a college age child included on the return applied for Covered CA at some point and didnt realize they got coverage?.

Can they get Covered CA to send them something in writing stating that none of the SSNs shown on their tax return had any marketplace coverage in 2019?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Tax Lady Sully
Level 2

That would be the normal, yes.  However I had them call Covered California to get the form and they do not have one for this couple (no dependents). They were told that there is not from to show coverage nor one that would declare they did not have coverage. Taxpayer is on Medical and spouse on Medicare (disabled).

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You'll have to write a letter explaining he situation.  I'd send the 1095 from Medi-Cal and proof of Medicare for the other showing they had other coverage.

0 Cheers
Tax Lady Sully
Level 2

So after all this I re-query my client and learn that the Covered California (CC) agent told her that if she hadn't received the form there was no reason to look it up.  I've had her re contact CC and yes they did have one. So one to the normal mode of corrections.  Thank you for the assist anyway!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
In my experience....if IRS says there's one, there IS one out there! Glad you made them call again!