Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NJ CBT 100S

cjscpa
Level 3

What date should I really put on "date of NJ S Corp election"?  Indiana S Corp 2018. 1st taxable sale in NJ in 2020. I'm uncomfortable with the default of 1/1/2018 as "date of NJ S Corp election since we never had sales there. Worried about tax notice. Thoughts? Very much appreciate it!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would use the first day they did business in that new state. I would imagine there may be more new states for them in the future. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

Have they registered with NJ? What date was that? 

https://business.nj.gov/pages/business-tax-registration-certificate

0 Cheers
cjscpa
Level 3

Unfortunately, seems they did not. Thanks for providing this link...it's the same one I sent to them earlier this morning...good to know we're going in the right direction. I believe they'll get registered, but it won't be done until this month! 

They have an overall operating loss this year. Yet $26K gross sales in NJ. Acting in good faith to file! They'll get their $300 tax due 🙂

Any consequences?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would use the first day they did business in that new state. I would imagine there may be more new states for them in the future. 

0 Cheers
cjscpa
Level 3

Intuitively that's what I was thinking...really didn't want a non-filing notice to kick out, using the defaulted date of 2018, when they didn't do business until late 2020 in NJ.

Thank you so much! Have a great day!! 🙂

0 Cheers