Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NC Form D-400 -- spouses with different residencies

DianeK21
Level 2

Taxpayer lives in NC and was a NC resident for all of 2020.  Spouse lives in CA and was a CA resident for all of 2020.  Is there a way to mark the residency question boxes on page 1 of D-400 so that taxpayer's is YES and spouse's is NO?  I've already put a '2' in screen 55.241 for the spouse, but it doesn't change anything on the form.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

Has the spouse left forever? or is the spouse away temporarily? Maybe a NC resident with credit for taxes paid of CA or vis-versa. 

I don't know the answer to your original question.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
DianeK21
Level 2

Spouse never lived in NC.  Taxpayer was originally in CA.  Sch CA-NR lets me put different resident states for each person, but NC isn't as straight-forward.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Look at Screen 55.241 (3rd section for North Carolina)

0 Cheers
DianeK21
Level 2

Sorry, I guess my original question should've indicated that I've already put an override in that screen, but it doesn't change anything on the form.  Was trying to avoid a phone call to Lacerte, but probably inevitable.  Thanks for trying!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Try using Ctrl + L to send an e-mail to Lacerte. Be as detailed as you can AND you can actually attach the return you are working on. They will respond and you don't have to be on hold on the phone. Hopefully it is a program issue to be corrected in a new release on ....