Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple versions of same clients return

umreb78
Level 1

Saving multiple versions of same return. Is this possible? Have completed a 2019 return but client now wants to see a "what if" scenario involving multiple assets. "what would my tax have been in 2019 if I had _____ versus what my tax liability was without such a transaction?". Transaction involved is very complex and I don't want to even touch the return as it was prepped and filed. Can a second version be saved and used as a "hypothetical version"?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Copy it and use a different number.  I use initials+Proj.  

IF you use REP, you *shouldn't* be charged unless you change the ID number.  You will be prompted that changing the number may result in a charge; if you do get billed, it's easy to get it reversed.

OR, you can use all 999999's - then you don't get billed.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

Copy it and use a different number.  I use initials+Proj.  

IF you use REP, you *shouldn't* be charged unless you change the ID number.  You will be prompted that changing the number may result in a charge; if you do get billed, it's easy to get it reversed.

OR, you can use all 999999's - then you don't get billed.

( Generic Comment )"
umreb78
Level 1

Many thanks ABC. Much appreciated

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

YVW

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers