Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi state S corporation filing

Ember123
Level 4

California S corp will file in 30 states for 2020 as a result of selling its 3% interest (passive) in a large multistate LLC.  This will be an initial and final filing. How to do this withhout obtaining  business ID numbers for all of the States ?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Honestly, I just leave that field blank and file anyhow, and so far, so good. Many diagnostics can be safely ignored, regardless of how Lacerte categorizes them. Worst case scenario, you have to mail a couple rather than e-filing.

I believe that nexus for state ID numbers / Secretary of State registration is not identical to nexus for filing requirement. 

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Honestly, I just leave that field blank and file anyhow, and so far, so good. Many diagnostics can be safely ignored, regardless of how Lacerte categorizes them. Worst case scenario, you have to mail a couple rather than e-filing.

I believe that nexus for state ID numbers / Secretary of State registration is not identical to nexus for filing requirement. 

Ember123
Level 4

I see. Don't I know you ?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Phoebe probably knows, but you did not share the list of 20 states. She said leave them blank and see. Even better research each of the states to see what their filing requirements are to get ID numbers.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Ember123
Level 4

Yes, I hear you but I already have way to much time on this project with most State taxes under $2,000 but sure to be future hassels due to each State's idiosyncracies.

0 Cheers