Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi state return with rental properties in various states

loricpa100
Level 4

Passive losses from rentals Form 8582 for various states - it is combining vs. just that state.  So same as Fed Passive Form 8582 is printing with each state tax return- even when I have split the loss carryforwards on the Sch E input sheets by state.  Anyone else have this issue?  These have current year income and passives are using up the income - yet it is OVERSTATED for each state as it is showing a combined amount.  ALL items have the state noted to the right side and in the state amounts for PAL the proper amounts are there- just not what is going on the form.  Anyone?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

Possibly the S and N coding when you use Ctrl + E to allocate?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/using-the-source-column-and-understanding-t...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
loricpa100
Level 4

This helps quite a bit.  NOW it is giving me the PAL for No Carolina so they are not being taxed.  Yippee! 

And the 8582 attached that says it is for state, comes through with the correct PAL.  It shows the combined (2 rentals) for the activities with Net Income, yet the PAL is correct for NC.

HOWEVER, the exact same amount, for their other rental in So Carolina, is showing up on the SC "state" 8582.  Sigh.

Both "state" 8582s have a combined net income for NC and SC.  And both have the NC PAL.  Even though I put the PAL for each Sch E with the correct state and S.  Sigh.

And the net income is a calculated number that I cannot see where to override, so no way to get that correct by state.

So, it seems I could suppress (somewhere) the "state" 8582 and just attach a footnote?  other ideas?

Another season off and running!  Now I know why I generally refuse multi state returns.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Are you sure the software is incorrect?

Some states have a separate 8582 or equivalent so you can calculate the losses under that state's rules but that doesn't  mean you only include in state losses on the form. CA comes to mind.

I don't know for your 2 states. Just giving food for thought.

Ex-AllStar