Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MN return with UC addback and taxable social security

TaxLadyTerri
Level 3

Mn preparers...anyone having problems with the program calculating UC addback and taxable social security on the same return?  I cannot follow the state worksheets...looks like MN is adding the UC exclusion back twice in calculating taxable social security for the state return.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
scheunemanncpa
Level 4

Yes you have to do an override for the line that adds in more taxable social security income.  Works fine after that.  Watch out for anything else that adds more taxable social security income like the federal $300 charitable deduction.

0 Cheers
TaxLadyTerri
Level 3

I just closed for the night.   Do you know what screen in the program to do the override?  
Also, do  you know if this has been reported to Lacerte as a glitch so the software can be updated?  This afternoon’s update didn’t change this calculation. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I was just looking at that earlier today too (but I use ProSeries), and had set it aside to come back and figure it out.

It looks like Intuit having Line 1 of the M1NC Social worksheet pull from a 'new' Federal Worksheet that already ADDS back the Unemployment Exclusion.  Then Line 2 of the M1NC Social worksheet adds it again via M1NC.  So it is double-added.

As for the $300 charitable deduction, isn't that a fault of the MN Social worksheet?  Line 7 of the Federal worksheet would not have the $300 included, so there is no reason for the MN worksheet to add it back.  Right?

The M1NC Line 31 worksheet is doing the $300 add back correctly.  Intuit hasn't updated the Federal Social Security worksheet, but the actual 2020 Federal worksheet DOES have the $300 deduction factored in, so it IS appropriate to add it back in on the MN form.

0 Cheers