Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MN M1PR and Qualified Charitable Distribution

CPAChris
Level 2

It appears that Charitable IRA Distributions entered on the pension screen are not flowing to the form M1PR (property return for Minnesota) as Additions to Income.  Anyone else had this issue?  I have had a property tax return audit for a client on this.  I would think it would have been an automatic flow through.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't do Lacerte, so I can't answer that part of the question, but for what it's worth, it isn't an automatic addback in ProSeries either.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't do Lacerte, so I can't answer that part of the question, but for what it's worth, it isn't an automatic addback in ProSeries either.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxLadyTerri
Level 3

Lacerte is seriously lacking on the M1PR return. Yes, you have to manually add back the QCD from an IRA.  Screen 53, MN Household Income, Additional Income line.

I also have to fake out the form when someone has an annuity withdrawal with their contributions listed in box 5 on form 1099-R.  Lacerte includes the total withdrawal on M1PR, not the taxable amount. So my work around is to enter in the after-tax contribution on the line that says “gross distribution from 1035 exchange”.  This way, that amount doesn’t show up in income and I have the 1099-R to back up what I did.  I used to be able to enter a negative number with the explanation, but no more.  When I checked with MN Revenue, they said the software was wrong and it should be changed. I didn’t bother to do that as Lacerte doesn’t listen and is hard to reach. Maybe they should have a Minnesota preparer assist the software developers with their forms.  Just saying!

sjrcpa
Level 15

Intuit doesn't learn.

Remember the year that MN stopped accepting tax returns from Intuit until they fixed the errors?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Some of us remember that year quite well🤢

Slava Ukraini!
CPAChris
Level 2

The software is so expensive and the last few years I think it has had some issues.  I've used it for 20 years, but I think every year of switching!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"but I think every year of switching"

I think just about every Intuit software user thinks the same thing.  But then again, I'm guessing a lot of the users of other software have the same thoughts.  Everybody is looking for nirvana in tax software but I don't know that anybody has yet found the perfect coexistence of price vs software performance quite yet.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxLadyTerri
Level 3

After 20+ years using Lacerte and getting beyond retirement age, I'm not about to learn new software.  As the cost of Lacerte increases, so do my fees.