Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacerte Transmission Error: validation error 703

David10
Level 3

Validation error 703 -Duplicate SSN - 2018 Lacerte eFile is telling me that I'm trying to  efile the same tax return twice. But, this is first time I'm filing this taxpayer's return. WTF ? Please fix this tech support - thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
David10
Level 3

Here's verbatim message :

The program did not successfully transmit this tax filing.  The filing failed pre-submission validation
Failed Transmission on 02/01/20 :
Validation Failure: Error 703:    Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted - in other words, it appears you're trying to e-file the same return twice. If you need to change this return, you'll need to file an amended return on paper, by mail.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If someone else filed a return with that SSN using an Intuit product (even Turbotax) it will automatically kick back like that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Benhaus
Level 2

I have the same error code.  The federal was filed and accepted.  The state (LA), wasn't and now I cant get it to pass pre-submission.  Any idea how to get the state to go through?

Benny

0 Cheers
DAS13
Level 3

That means someone else has already filed using the same social security number - not you. You might want to ask the client if they have had any issues with ID theft, and look into filing Form 14039 in case that is the situation. It could simply be that someone submitted a tax return done manually and either wrote the wrong ID  number on their return, or the IRS employee  made a key-punch error when entering the tax return. But to be sure, you should pursue the possibility of ID theft too, to get ahead of it if needed.

Often that type of error is also caused when a dependent files his own tax return and claims himself/herself, and then the parents file and try to claim the dependent on their tax return too.  (not as important now with loss of exemptions, but other items such as education credits or HOH filing status might be affected.)

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Benhaus wrote:

I have the same error code.  The federal was filed and accepted.  The state (LA), wasn't and now I cant get it to pass pre-submission.  Any idea how to get the state to go through?

Benny

Sounds like you may be paper filing.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
accoun5
Level 4

Someone may have hacked your EFIN. Double check with Lacerte. They could have created a different client number and stole your EFIN and filed as if it was you.

0 Cheers
HTA
Level 1

I find that it happens with new clients.  They haven't told their old preparer someone else is doing the return and an extension is filed by the old preparer when they don't hear from the client by the deadline.  

0 Cheers