Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacerte on New Computer

bhasupanchal
Level 2

I installed 2019 and 2020 on abrand new computer - at sign in - the screen does not allow me to type the ID and the password - it appe

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bhasupanchal
Level 2

FINALLY - LACERTE TOOL HUB - i used all the Program repair tools and it did not work - with Lacerte Support (after 3 hours and getting cut off)  - called back and tried "Web Setup force " - no luck - and while I was waiting to get transferred to Advanced - I tried  "Reset Display" and - magic - both2019 and 2020 now work. Keeping my fingers crossed.  

Hope this is useful for the community and LACERTE EXPERTS !

View solution in original post

18 Comments 18
George4Tacks
Level 15
margy
Level 2

I'm having the exact same problem!  I was able to download 2018 with no issues but 2019 and 2020 "freeze" at the login screen and there is no ability to type anything in the fields.  

0 Cheers
bhasupanchal
Level 2

Strange - day before yesterday - i followed the suf=geested steps and was able to open both 2019 and 2020

Today when I tried opening it - it reverted back to the same problem !!!!!!! Somebody at INTUIT must resolve this so we do not have to go through this pain !!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@bhasupanchal 

"..Somebody at INTUIT must resolve this so we do not have to go through this pain !!"

You'll need to contact support (they are not likely not open until Monday) to get someone from Intuit to assist.  

This is not Intuit support; we are just fellow software users.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15

@bhasupanchal wrote:

Strange - day before yesterday - i followed the suf=geested steps and was able to open both 2019 and 2020

Today when I tried opening it - it reverted back to the same problem !!!!!!! Somebody at INTUIT must resolve this so we do not have to go through this pain !!

If it worked day before yesterday, then it does not sound like an INTUIT issue. Try turning off your AntiVirus program - That would be my guess as to what is hanging it up. 

As stated by others, this is a user community and 99.9% of the answers you get are from users. The issue you have needs support, which means a long phone call. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
cpaathome
Level 1

I am having the exact same problem.  When I downloaded 18, it told me I needed some extension to download, which I did and 2018 I can log into.  I cannot log into 2019 nor 2020.  Did you find a solution to this problem?  The links in the attachments to your answer don't seem to apply to the problem you describe.

0 Cheers
Intuit_Al
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, please try the steps in the article below to resolve.   These must be done for each year of the program you are experiencing this issue.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/general-login/help/when-opening-lacerte-the-sign-in-screen-i...

If you would prefer an agent walk you through this process, please see the article below for our phone number and hours of operation.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/taxation/help/how-to-contact-lacerte-for-help/00/4691

We apologize for any inconvenience and disruption this is causing you.

steven
Level 5

I recall something about security changes for 2020 and 2019 and I believe that you now need to have the new MS Chromium Browser installed.  This is generally available in the latest Windows 10 20H2 feature pack, though it may also have been installed with the V2004 update .  It can be installed standalone.

Feature updates are not always automatically installed and can be deferred, but you should get up to the latest before the Tax Season.  The V2004 update can take 1-2 hours.  Do it hardwired.  The 20H2 is only a few minutes, but if you are still on V 1909 then it will do both in one go (ie 2 hrs) so plan accordingly. Plan on not working during the upgrade.

Current Version: Settings=> System => About

To Update: Settings => Updates and Security => Windows 10 20H2 Feature Update.

To install only the new Edge Chromium browser go Here

Also see this posted earlier I believe.  The minimum browser recommendation is WRONG.

bhasupanchal
Level 2

FINALLY - LACERTE TOOL HUB - i used all the Program repair tools and it did not work - with Lacerte Support (after 3 hours and getting cut off)  - called back and tried "Web Setup force " - no luck - and while I was waiting to get transferred to Advanced - I tried  "Reset Display" and - magic - both2019 and 2020 now work. Keeping my fingers crossed.  

Hope this is useful for the community and LACERTE EXPERTS !

bhasupanchal
Level 2

Celebrated too early - looks like I have to - Reset Display - every time I log in ! Too technical for me to figure out !  

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@bhasupanchal What type of monitor do you have? I believe that there have been some issues with some newer very high resolution monitors.

@Intuit_Al or @Orlando  might be able to get support to push follow up on what was mentioned in this thread? 

There is a hint in https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/re-hi-dpi-display-setting... that it may be an issue that could be corrected in the next update, which will be 1/7/2021.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Try the new Lacerte Tool Hub https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/fix-common-problems-and-errors-with-the-l...

bhasupanchal
Level 2

I use the 24f HP Monito (HD) - if this is the problem - let me know please.

0 Cheers
Intuit_Al
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, were you able to try the solution in the article posted earlier?  If this did not work, I can follow up with our support team in the morning.  Unfortunately, they are closed for the day.  Please let me know.

Here is the link ,

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/general-login/help/when-opening-lacerte-the-sign-in-screen-i...

Thanks,

Al

0 Cheers
margy
Level 2

I tried the Rest Display and it finally allowed me to sign in to 2019 but when I closed the program and tried to reopen the ability to type in my password was gone again.

0 Cheers
margy
Level 2

Doesn't work.  This is ridiculous!

0 Cheers
Intuit_Al
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry for this, can you try the steps below?  This should resolve the issue at least until you update the program.  Our engineers are aware of this issue.

From When opening Lacerte the sign in screen is blank or does not allow typing ...

Follow the steps below:

1. Close Lacerte.
  2. Open Windows File Explorer.
  3. From This PC choose Windows C:
  4. Open the ##Tax folder where ## is the year (Ex. 20TAX , 19TAX).
  5. Open the w##tax.exe.config file. (Ex. w20tax.exe.config , w19tax.exe.config) If asked what program you want to open the file in, choose Notepad.
  6. Find the <appSettings> section.
  7. Locate the line below,
    • <!--<add key="Intuit.Spc.Authorization.EmbeddedWebBrowserImplementation" value="Standard"/>-->
  8. Remove <!-- and --> from the beginning and end of the line so it looks like this,
    • <add key="Intuit.Spc.Authorization.EmbeddedWebBrowserImplementation" value="Standard"/>
  9. From the File menu choose Exit. When prompted to save choose Yes.
  10. Open Lacerte and try to sign in again.

Note: These steps must be performed for each year of the program you are experiencing this issue and will need to be performed after each update.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Look at the article https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/general-login/help/when-opening-lacerte-the-sign-in-screen-i...

I think both @Intuit_Al  and the article could use some minor editing:

When attempting to sign in to your Lacerte Tax software the Sign In screen does not show the fields to enter your user name and password or the fields are present but you cannot type in your sign-in information.

Follow the steps below:

1. Close Lacerte.
  2. Open Windows File Explorer.
  3. From This PC choose Windows C:
  4. Open the ##Tax folder where ## is the year (Ex. 20TAX , 19TAX).
  5. Open the w##tax.exe.config file. (Ex. w20tax.exe.config , w19tax.exe.config) If asked what program you want to open the file in, choose Notepad.
  6. Find the <appSettings> section.
  7. Locate the line below,
    • <!--<add key="Intuit.Spc.Authorization.EmbeddedWebBrowserImplementation" value="Standard"/>-->
  8. Remove <!-- and --> from the beginning and end of the line so it looks like this,
    • <add key="Intuit.Spc.Authorization.EmbeddedWebBrowserImplementation" value="Standard"/>
  9. From the File menu choose Exit. When prompted to save choose Yes.
  10. Open Lacerte and try to sign in again.

Note: These steps must be performed for each year of the program you are experiencing this issue and will need to be performed after each update.