Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kentucky itemized deductions

pls
Level 3

Is there a way to force Kentucky itemized deductions when claiming the standard on federal?  Normally Lacerte chooses the best way to file.  However, this year, when the box is checked on the itemized deductions screen to take the above the line charitable contribution deduction, it forces the standard on Kentucky also, even though itemizing is better for Kentucky.  It correctly adds back the above the line deduction on Kentucky, as Kentucky does not allow this.  Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

As best as I can tell, this is a defect in the program. While in the client screen use Ctrl + L to e-mail Lacerte with your discovery. You should be able to itemize on KY even though you take standard deduction on the federal.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/accounting/help/sending-an-email-to-lacerte-support/00/4763

Maybe @IntuitBettyJo can start an enquiry.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
pls
Level 3

Thank you.  I figured it was probably a gliche in the program, since you definitely can itemize on Kentucky, even if taking the standard on the federal.

0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

I'm unable to replicate the issue you are both describing... I went ahead and created a KY return that had 10k of itemized deductions.   Enough for KY to itemize but federal takes the standard deduction by default.  So, checked the box to use $300 on fed return with std deduction. I still get the standard deduction for federal and $300 charitable.  But Kentucky still is getting the itemized deduction.

Am I misunderstanding the issue? 

-Betty Jo 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@IntuitBettyJoNo, you didn't misunderstand the issue except you're late to the party.  I just did a quick check and see that it has been fixed with the latest release (40.0202) on Feb 2.

Others may want to check again to verify.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@pls  You may want to check that you have the latest version installed.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/update-products/help/how-can-i-check-which-version-of-lacert...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
pls
Level 3

Yes - I downloaded the update the day it came out and saw that it fixed the problem.  Thanks!