Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to 'track' how the system calculated an specific line?

Alva124
Level 2

I know it is a very strange and unique question, but here it goes:

There is a amount the system is giving me in line 4 column E of the CA Sch 540NR. I traced it back and the problem is that the amounts in the different K-1's being assigned to CA minus the deductions do not match this amount. 

Which got me thinking. A) there is a problem and the system is giving me the wrong calculations or B) there is an amount somewhere being assigned to CA  and I cannot find it. 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

NR or Part-year resident?

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
0 Cheers
Alva124
Level 2

NR

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

There's a worksheet called "St K-1 Rec" that will show you entity-by-entity how much state-source income Lacerte thinks you have. That's where I start to find data-entry errors.

Sometimes there will be a discrepancy between that worksheet and the actual state tax return, and you have to decide which one is correct and judiciously override. Sometimes there will be a discrepancy between that worksheet and your own outside calculation of the correct number, due to the "-1 means zero" issue.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

PY NR's may have a couple of causes.

For NR, @PhoebeRoberts has pointed out the key solutions.  The main thing is really in your input of state source and also the blank, N S thing.   So far I have not encountered any software problem.  I do about 20 - 30 CA-NR every year.

If you feel you've checked it all, one suggestion is to email Lacerte with the file and ask for the details.  This year I did it five times.  Two showed Lacert Gremlins.  Three showed user (i.e. yours sincerely) problem.  The turn around time was within 24 hours.  I have no problem with Lacerte support this year, but then, I only threw them clear, focused problems. 

Good Luck!

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I generally only see an issue in very complex returns. I've got one with about a dozen passive multi-state K-1s and half a dozen active multi-state K-1s, and I will often have one or two states a year that either need a judicious override, or I've got a note in my file that the -1 error isn't material.

If it's a straightforward NR, I would not expect to see any issues other than preparer input or "I didn't bother to read the forms instructions and got an output I didn't expect." Both of which happen to me somewhat regularly, alas.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: "I didn't bother to read the forms instructions and got an output I didn't expect." Both of which happen to me somewhat regularly, alas.

I once put together a computer table.  At Step 21, I found a couple of extra parts that were for Step 3, and had to back paddle....

These days, still, do I read the instructions?  

0 Cheers