Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Reject

cdb
Level 2

We have had a significant uptick in IRS rejects due to taxpayer ID showing return already submitted.  Has anyone else seen this anomaly for this filing season? I'm talking about MANY returns, not a few where you could actually say they might be fraudulent activity.  Here is the error: 

Reject: Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return.

Reject Resolution: This return was rejected by the IRS because the taxpayer's identification number assigned to this return has already been filed and accepted by the IRS. Please verify that you have accurately entered the taxpayer's SSN or TIN and make corrections if required. If no errors have been made in the entry of the taxpayer's SSN or EIN, it may be necessary to contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for further guidance.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

Are you sure your system wasn't hacked?

Slava Ukraini!
cdb
Level 2

We have confirmation from our IT dept that our system was not breached. I will definitely take your advice on the hand-washing 🙂  !!  Thanks.

George4Tacks
Level 15

It sounds like you will have a bigger paper bill this year. Be sure to complete Screen 4 > e-file PDF/Misc > Form 8948 ... with the reason for paper filing.

Each of these clients MAY need to file 14039 https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/when-to-file-a-form-14039-identity-theft-affidavit

Hopefully it is just sloppy early e-filers that were accepted innocently and not ID theft.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
TaxLadyTerri
Level 3

Check your EFIN status for returns filed by your company at irs.gov on the tax pros site.  Under e-services. See if the number you have actually filed matches with what is showing for your efin number. 

cdb
Level 2

Thank you.  Double checked this morning.  Everything matches. Please keep the suggestions coming.  

0 Cheers
zinaarana
Level 2

As the deadline approaches I have had 2 customers with this. I had never had this happened before. I am also a bit concerned and wanted to let you know, you are not the only one. But I do wonder if it's happening more this year in general? 

0 Cheers
cdb
Level 2

Thanks for replying!  It has been crazy.  We have been made aware by the representative that we are working with at the data loss unit of the IRS, that he alone, is working with over 50 practitioners..multiply that by however many clients they have...  Yes, I would agree that it is widespread (even more so with COVID scams).  It seems to me it could be solved with everyone being REQUIRED to have the IRS send IP PINs to everyone each year. The cost savings in manpower and for unrecovered fraudulent refunds would be in the millions.  Good luck to you and so very sorry this is happening to you, as well. 

0 Cheers
zinaarana
Level 2

Do you mind me asking why you ended up working with a representative at the data loss unit? It is the first time I experience this and what I have done so far is mail the return with a 10439 and an 8948. Should I be doing something else? 

0 Cheers
cdb
Level 2

It ended up being several of our clients.  We were instructed to do this even though no breach could be found on our end.  If you have more than a "few" people, it may be worth reaching out to your Practitioner Liaison for recommendations.  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/stakeholder-liaison-local-contacts.

The 14039 and 8948 are exactly what you need to do, regardless.  Hope this helps!