Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual Diagnostic Ref. 20063 IRS Requires the Withholding Amount on Form 1040

LindaSki
Level 2

I have withholding on a 1099R but overall net operation loss on return.  Can't find any additional reference on what is income for this diagnostic to be telling me I should paper file.  I'm thinking of overriding the diagnostic and e-filing anyway but wondering if anyone has seen this.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
TylorValdez1
Employee
Employee

his diagnostic was added to prevent e-file reject F1040-071-03 that occurs when total withholding on Form 1040 is less than the total of specific categories of income. You will need to paper file the return.

LindaSki
Level 2

Ii don't think that's my question.  If I enter a negative $300,000 on Sch C and have a negative AGI the diagnostic goes away.  It recognize that I have a 1099R with $125,000 gross and $25,000 withholding and have a negative AGI and thinks everything is find.  Which it always has been in prior year.

My negative $300,000 is coming from a net operating loss from a Form 1041.  Then I get this message.  The diagnostic says income categories.  Somehow the program is differentiating between a net loss from Sch C and from Sch K-1 for the same type of loss.

There should be a way around this.

0 Cheers
TylorValdez1
Employee
Employee

There is not a way. The NOL is the root cause. I have seen this a few times with different customers.

TylorValdez1
Employee
Employee

If you believe you are getting this e-file diagnostic in error you may disable the e-file diagnostic checking; however, if the return is rejected you will need to paper file.
Note:  disabling e-file error checking is not recommended when this diagnostic is triggered.