Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Including Federal Return with Oregon State Return

JABAT97239
Level 2

Hi, This should be an obvious answer, but i have been questioned about it recently and my research on the matter has not been consistent.  I have been attaching to our paper filed OREGON Form 40, the front and back (page 1 and 2) of Form 1040.  However, someone here is saying that the entire federal return (including all schedules) should be attached to the Form 40 for Oregon.  Please advise.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im assuming you mean a paper filed return....what do the Oregon instructions say?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
JABAT97239
Level 2

Yes, paper filed Oregon return.

The actual Form 40 says "Important: Include a copy of your federal Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040-X, 1040-NR, or 1040-NR-EZ. Without this information, we may adjust your return."

Form 40 Instructions Say: "14. Your federal return(s) and schedules"

And for my research, i have found a few that say just to attach page 1 and 2 of the Form 1040 and not the schedules.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

CA individual return says the same thing, I always send all the pages of the federal return.    

However last time I paper filed a CA fiduciary return, the instructions specifically stated to only attach pages 1 and 2 of the federal 1041.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@BobKamman kicked me down the road once for this, but I am inclined to always send more, rather than less. When in doubt, pay the extra postage and send all pages of the federal return. Theoretically the state already has access to all of this, but ....

"obvious answer" is almost as oxymoronic as using that four letter F word with taxes. FAIR?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

@George4Tacks 

Me? Kick someone down the road? The only people I kick down the road are those who can’t read instructions. Unless, of course, they are dyslexic and the revenue agency in question doesn’t furnish a comic book, and then I just shake my head and wonder why they didn't pursue a career in politics, instead.  

And I would never criticize someone for hinting that Dark Forces had spoken to them about hidden truths. (For example, “And for my research, i have found a few that say just to attach page 1 and 2 of the Form 1040 and not the schedules.” )

All I know is what Oregon tells me right there on Page 25 of its Form 40 Instructions:

“Include a copy of your federal return (front and back) with your Oregon return. Include federal Schedules 1 through 3 (if applicable), but don’t include other federal schedules unless otherwise instructed. Place it behind all Oregon forms and schedules.”

George4Tacks
Level 15
Party poop. Read the instructions? Blasphemy!!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
JABAT97239
Level 2

Actually, to end this discussion, I contacted the Oregon Department of Revenue directly and they want Form 1040 AND Schedules 1 through 5.  Over and Out.  Thank you. Be safe and healthy!

BobKamman
Level 15

Call twice more, get another two answers.  People who rely on phone calls to temps during tax season always amaze me.   HUCA.  

Edited to add:

1970:  "I heard it on the phone, it must be true."

2020:  "I saw it on the Internet, it must be true."