Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to input child's information on 1040, who is not a dependent for a Qualifying widow status. Where is the input?

Saroj
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PKCPAMST
Level 5

An individual filing as a surviving spouse can treat the qualifying child in one of two ways:

1. Claim the child as a dependent, or

2. Not claim the child as a dependent.

To choose second option, above, go to Screen 2 - Dependents, from Type select "Head of household or qualifying widow(er) only. Not a dependent". (It's the fourth option in the dropdown.)

The dependent's name will now appear in the Filing Status box, not in the Dependents section.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

You enter as a dependent in screen 2, then there are several drop down selections for various scenarios: Type, Earned Income Credit and Child Tax Credit. Look carefully at the choices for Type and you should find your answer. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Saroj
Level 2

I am afraid not. I can Say no child tax credit , no Earned income credit, but 1040 still shows it as dependent. If I say no exemption then childs name and social security number does not show. 

i really do need help on this one, anywhere else there is some notation which says child information for surviving Widow?

Thanks for reaching out.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You should go through the interactive assistant, because this might not qualify:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/what-is-my-filing-status

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
PKCPAMST
Level 5

An individual filing as a surviving spouse can treat the qualifying child in one of two ways:

1. Claim the child as a dependent, or

2. Not claim the child as a dependent.

To choose second option, above, go to Screen 2 - Dependents, from Type select "Head of household or qualifying widow(er) only. Not a dependent". (It's the fourth option in the dropdown.)

The dependent's name will now appear in the Filing Status box, not in the Dependents section.

Saroj
Level 2

Thank You, 

It worked.

0 Cheers