Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you save your information in Lacerte

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

It saves semi-automatically.

Under Settings, Options, Setup, Numeric Detail Input you can set the Automatic Detail Save frequency, but even if it's disabled, exiting Lacerte normally or viewing Forms will save. 

I personally have it set to save every minute (as often as possible), and when I've had a crash, I generally have lost minimal input. The downside is if you totally screw something up (over-zealous deleting, anyone?), you can't go to Detail, Abandon Changes and undo it unless you notice really quickly.

sjrcpa
Level 15

In Options, Setup, set Automatic Detail Save.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

What the other girls say....

I will comment that setting it to save every minute *MAY* slow the system down, depending on your set-up.

And I'm really glad I don't have "premature delete" issues 😉

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

One of my carryover notes for one of my clients has a detailed list of proforma'd things that should be deleted (prior-year IDCs from pass-throughs because I calculate excess IDCs at the entity level, state source passive carryovers for AMT because none of the states involved have a state-level AMT), which things shouldn't be deleted (state-source passive carryovers for regular tax), and how to get the amounts to key back in when you delete the wrong thing.

I find the automatic error checking (those little red !s in the Detail screens) slows my computer way down, but I've never noticed a significant lag due to auto-save.

abctax55
Level 15

@PhoebeRoberts 

I use a NAS, and Lacerte's performance when using it (and they do NOT support it) has slowed substantially in the last two years.

I've tried playing with the auto-save, and with the error notification (red dots) as well as not showing appointments on the display.  They all seem to help.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

I also use Save every minute, having learned a hard lesson years ago. I don't notice performance issues. Anna, I think you said you use a NAS. That process of saving may be what slows you down.

Ex-AllStar