Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H E L P.... Moderators...... "unemployment question onslaught"

abctax55
Level 15

Might I suggest that Intuit push out SOME type of comment/notice regarding this?

All of the repetitive questions about "why isn't the software ready yet to handle a bill that hasn't even been signed in to law" (as of 3.11.21 a.m.) is overwhelming the board & keeping other questions that deserve answers from being seen.   

Not to mention the irritation factor.

A single post/notice that *we* could refer alllllllllllll these folks to might prevent some 'issues'.

Thanks

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
pamdory
Level 8

Agree!  My colleagues using Drake software, a far less expensive program received messages via email yesterday about changes that were forthcoming regarding the treatment of unemployment AND the 2020 change to the Advance Premium Credit that doesn't have to be repaid, which was the first I heard about that.

abctax55
Level 15

I just want Intuit to address the issue of "when" software changes *might* happen.

The non-taxability of UIC, the APTC repay, etc - those issues should be researched by the tax professionals themselves. 

It is not the software's function to teach "us" tax law.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

Bump.... 

( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

The top of the page has this:

"For the latest information on the American Rescue Plan, please check here"

And that link has updated content. But if you come here not using a browser, do you see that informational notation?

Even if you make your own Macro, you have to spend the time opening the topic and replying. We need an Intuit Bot, the same as the Dancing Girls use.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

As of this morning, that link hadn't been updated since Feb 27th.

Glad to see they finally got around to it...

And it say NOTHING about what Intuit has planned regarding when a software update might be available, which is what a lot of the repetitive questions are asking.

AND it is what I've asked Intuit to do; to get in front of this issue and explain (so "we" don't have to and so we have a quick link to send folks to) that until the IRS takes action there's  IS no time line for when the software providers can update the program.

WE know it's going to take some time, but these other folks seem to think all that is necessary is the waving of a magic pen makes it happen.

( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"that link hadn't been updated since Feb 27th."

It's got content to March 12. They added to the Top part, to most current.

I made that comment a few days ago, that the helpful piece of info was when would the Forms Availability page be updated to show when the Forms would be updated to show when the Program when be updated.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Yes, Michele - it does NOW.

My point is that when I bumped this post - that link did NOT have any current info.  A lot has happened since Feb 27th

Thanks for noticing.

( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"A lot has happened since Feb 27th"

A lot has happened since 3pm 🙂

I think that's what is driving everyone crazy.

pamdory
Level 8

It would be helpful if an in-program alert, one of those blue or pink ribbons at the top of the  client list, was posted telling people that if they have 2020 returns with unemployment benefits or Advanced Premium Credit repayment they should hold them until the software is updated.  As well as an approximate idea of when we may see the updates.

abctax55
Level 15

Bump....

YO - INTUIT .... maybe, just maybe you should consider doing something like this ?!?!?!??!?!

@IntuitAustin @IntuitBettyJo 

*WE* (the ones that seem to answer most of the questions here so support doesn't have to...) are drowning in the onslaught...

From Drake this morning:

Unemployment Compensation - New Exclusion
Last night, the IRS released more details on how to report the new exclusion of up to $10,200 (per spouse) of Unemployment Compensation.
Our goal, as always, is to make timely changes to the software. We ask for your continued patience while we analyze, implement and test the necessary software changes. We will be working diligently to incorporate this new Unemployment Compensation Exclusion Worksheet and we'll email you again when we release the update.

Please stay tuned for information about the Advance Premium Tax Credit (APTC) — the IRS's first priority was the Unemployment Exclusion change and we expect more information on the APTC in the near future.

The IRS has advised that you should not yet amend returns that had Unemployment Compensation or Repayment of the Advance Premium Tax Credit. Official IRS guidance is forthcoming.
Source:
https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/forms-publications/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemploym...

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

Guess I should have bumped this earlier today ....

@IntuitAustin   @IntuitBettyJo 

Sure do hope you guys can get some type of an announcement out EARLY tomorrow as this is just going to continue to escalate.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

I'm going to bump, again, just so I can prove out that definition of insanity...

@IntuitAustin  @IntuitBettyJo 

Could you please confirm that you guys are still even alive/work for Intuit.  The silence is deafening. 

( Generic Comment )"
pamdory
Level 8

I think you may have gotten someone's attention as we now have a statement at the top of this screen

We're working closely with the IRS on unemployment treatment. Please see the IRS's latest statement for guidance here."

A tad diminutive, but it's something.  Although I suppose those who are tired may miss it...