Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form4972Ind Reject: Error Code IND-132

AlabamaTaxman
Level 3

Has anyone else had rejects for this?

Text: If 'Form4972Ind' in the filing is checked, then Form 4972 must be attached to 'Form4972Ind'.

The form is for a lump-sum distribution from a qualified retirement plan for those born before 1936. My rejected client isn't retired, has no retirement income, and is quite a bit younger.

The message also says it will be fixed in a subsequent update.  Does anyone have any other information about this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

19 Comments 19
sjrcpa
Level 15

Someone else reported it, too.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Anyone figure this out - I just received this same error message

0 Cheers
AlabamaTaxman
Level 3

I didn't exactly figure out the bug, but I found a workaround.  The message with the Reject code says something about attaching the Form 4972, so I printed the form to a PDF and attached it to the return, under Electronic Filing -> e-file PDF/Miscellaneous -> attach PDF.

That worked, it went through on the first try.

Good luck.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Thanks

Will give it a try.

0 Cheers
ddunk1946
Level 1

This just happened to me (for the first time). Same situation. I am not a tax professional but rather a small business owner and decades-long user of TT.

Will give this a try. Thanks for posting!

Be well,
DD

0 Cheers
JRKS
Level 2

I got this message yesterday and have been trying to research a fix. I'll try this 

0 Cheers
JRKS
Level 2

I am not finding where I can attach the 4972 to my tax return.  I need some help with the steps to attach this form.

0 Cheers
AlabamaTaxman
Level 3

First you have to save (print) the 4972 as a PDF file to your hard drive.  Save the form with your name and the year and form number as the file name, e.g., Joe Jones 2020 Form 4972.  I would save it to your desktop and later move it to the same place that you store your returns.

Then, in the Table of Contents go to Electronic Filing -> e-file PDF/Miscellaneous and click on the Attach PDF button.  You will get a pop-up window where you can choose the file from your hard drive and upload it.

The file name will populate the Description of file box.  In the next box choose Main Form, then Form 1040-Other.  Leave Activity name or number blank.  Make sure the Yes button is clicked.

That should do it.  Good luck.

0 Cheers
JRKS
Level 2

I must be a real dummy.  I can't find a table of contents Electronic Filing _>e-file PDF/Miscellaneous path in Turbo Tax.  I really appreciate your help. I've tried calling Turbo Tax Customer Support and looked through the IRS website and nobody can help. 

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

JRKS
Level 2

You're right I am an individual taxpayer but this is the only place I've found anything about this error.  The support for individual taxpayer online and by phone has been no help.  I don't know what else to do.

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Yeah, but your problem isn't the reject code anymore; it's "how do I attach a PDF to TT."

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/is-there-any-way-to-attach-instead-of-physically-...

"TurboTax does not support the attachment of PDF files to a personal return."

JRKS
Level 2

So, Turbo Tax can't give me a way to fix my return so it can be e-filed.  I'll have to mail my return.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@JRKS 

"So, Turbo Tax can't give me a way to fix my return"

Well, since this is a forum for using Lacerte, and not TurboTax, all programs are different and there is no help Here.

However, the TurboTax Community might have your answer or be able to give you an answer.

And your log in here can be used on the TurboTax Community. So...you are half-way there!

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Income Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte Tax Preparation programs, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer using TurboTax. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Your sign in user info here is the same one you can use over at the TurboTax forum.

Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
JRKS
Level 2

I'm not lost, I'm desperate.  I started out at the link you keep sending me.  I searched the site and forums and wrote to one of the tax advisors trying to find a way to deal with this problem.  I never got a response. Next I called the 800 number and went through the automated program that didn't know how to handle the call and didn't give me an option to talk to a human being. The only place I found a discussion of my problem was on this website so I wrote to it.  I can see the 4972 form on my return under the forms tab.  It says in bold letters do not file which is correct since we were not born before l936. The problem is that the IRS software requires the form if the 4972ind is flagged on the return.  Everyone knows that the ancient IRS software is not going to get changed so TT needs to change.  Clearly if the tax preparers have to have a workaround to trick the software, a regular taxpayer has no chance to get this resolved.  I'll just have to mail the return and hope for the best.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I started out at the link you keep sending me."

This is an internet text-based forum. You might be getting email notifications, but no one is sending you anything.

This is a Community of people using specific software. If you are not using that software: Lacerte, ProSeries or ProConnect, to prepare your clients' income tax returns, no one can help you with your issue.

It's like you walked into the Hummer Dealership because your Smart Car needs repair. Or, walked into a Country & Western Bar and walk to talk about Broadway Musicals.

"The only place I found a discussion of my problem was on this website so I wrote to it."

No; you hit a Search Result, because some logic routine pulled this up first. It's not the only one.

"so TT needs to change"

Then please go tell the TurboTax forum. You could be the First Person to start that topic and get the attention you need. That's why internet Communities exist.

Click this link and start a topic and let them know and see if you get some replies:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

@JRKS I reached out to the TurboTax team and there wasn't any information on this rejection. As @qbteachmt mentioned, you might be the first person to report this. 

To call into support use the article: What is the TurboTax phone number?
To start your own thread in the TurboTax community, select Ask a Question on this page. 

Wish I could've been more helpful! 

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
0 Cheers
JRKS
Level 2

Thank you for getting me to the right place to post this problem.  I got a reply with the steps to fix this problem from another taxpayer.  This is a problem with Turbotax.  The software should never flag a 4972 form for taxpayers born after 1936.  Thanks again, I really appreciate your help

qbteachmt
Level 15

@JRKS 

Good for you for participating over in the TurboTax Community. Too many people only complain, and that is not how to get results or to make a difference.