Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 2555 in Lacerte

Expat_Helper
Level 2

Some clients are both employed and self-employed working abroad. In Lacerte, why can we not check both boxes a and c in Form 2555 Part I, line 5?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jack4
Employee
Employee

Hello, Expat_Helper. IRS guidance only allows for one box to be checked in that part of the form. If you have clients that are both self-employed and also employees of a company, we recommend checking the "Other" box and indicated they are both self-employed and employed in the description line.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Jack4
Employee
Employee

Hello, Expat_Helper. IRS guidance only allows for one box to be checked in that part of the form. If you have clients that are both self-employed and also employees of a company, we recommend checking the "Other" box and indicated they are both self-employed and employed in the description line.

Hope that helps!

Expat_Helper
Level 2

Thanks for replying. However, the form states on line 5 "check _any_ that apply" (emphasis supplied) therefore we should be able to check more than one. 

0 Cheers
Jack4
Employee
Employee

Hi, Expat_helper. You are correct about that. I believe the limitation has to do with IRS e-file business rules only allowing one box to be checked. However, I will notify our development staff of this and reply back with any updates.

Thank you for your question.

0 Cheers