Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excess Business Interest Expense carryforwards

eeyore
Level 3

I'm reviewing a return with multiple pass-through K-1s.  in 2018, the taxpayer had excess business interest expense carryforwards from 4 different partnerships.  In 2019, only two of those partnerships show amounts on Sch A of Form 8990 in the prior year carryforward column.  I went back to the other two partnerships and noticed that they have no excess business interest expenses for 2019.  For the heck of it, I entered $1 in the box for excess business interest expense for one of these partnerships, and lo and behold, the partnership now appears on the F 8990 Sch A, with $1 current and the carryforward that I was looking for.  I'm not sure why I have to enter an amount in the current year to make the prior year carryforward appear in Form 8990.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, or not understanding this, but can someone help me?

Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

That's because Sch A is only needed for Part I.

Since the other two partnerships' carryover will not be allowed without current year excess taxable income/business interest income from those particular partnerships and are not relevant to Part I, these will not be shown on Sch A.  This is how I read the filing instructions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

That's because Sch A is only needed for Part I.

Since the other two partnerships' carryover will not be allowed without current year excess taxable income/business interest income from those particular partnerships and are not relevant to Part I, these will not be shown on Sch A.  This is how I read the filing instructions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
eeyore
Level 3

Thank you!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @eeyore!  Have  a great weekend!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers