Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excess Advance Premium Tax Credit Repayment

DaveNichols
Level 1

When does Lacerte plan on having a fix so that 2020 returns will no longer be subject to having the excess advance premium tax credit repayment assessed on Schedule 2?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Wait for tomorrow's update.  UI exclusion is the banner flag of ARPA, but Intuit is aware of the ACA penalty abatement.  Today's alert had a "wait and see" feel to it regarding UI, mentioning they do many updates on Thursdays.  Hopefully we'll see it in there, but if we don't, hopefully an alert will come out soon.

Regardless, tell your clients to sit down, be patient, and shut up.  Everything is moving sluggishly right now, so they have to be patient with you while you wait for IRS and then Intuit to issue procedures.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
jakeisawesome
Level 2

HAHA, WELL SAID !!! 

Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Well, we have more info. I've got a diagnostic on one of mine that would have repayment.  We're waiting for IRS to update form 8962, then we'll have wait for Lacerte to integrate that update.

I would not attempt to override this. Carry the company line to clients, "Just be patient. Do not ask for personal updates. Expect this to take at least a month. You are on my list to contact when this is resolved."

Good luck!

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
Drphibes
Level 7

I thought there were caveats on who can exclude the Premium Tax Credit and who cannot.  I had seen a preliminary review of this that had if you had received unemployment you could exclude it.  Need the IRS to come out with more clarity on this.

0 Cheers
maw10401
Level 2

The exclusion of repayment is NOT limited to unemployment recipients only.  Per the ARPA, for 2020, the repayment of excess does not apply. 

jakeisawesome
Level 2

Still no luck as of 4/2/2021. When will Lacerte make the update that is specifically for "Excess advance premium tax credit repayment"?   May 17th is not my fav answer. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

As has been pointed out many, many, many times....

The IRS has to act FIRST; none of the software providers can do anything until the IRS revamps the form.

irs.gov is a great resource for info...... AND they offer free Alerts.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

So, it's been 3 weeks since you posted your response.  Lacerte still does not have an answer.  Drake has the fix dialed in as of 4-5-2021, and you want me to tell my clients to sit down and shut up!!??  Why don't you take your own advice! 

0 Cheers

Drake has an update out as of 4-5-2021.  

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@keyboard shortcuts 

We are NOT Intuit, so your "sit down & shut up" advice is rude, uncalled for and unprofessional.

And BTW - Drake's early rollout is in violation of the IRS's position, and has computational errors.  

Try to have a nice day...

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

@keyboard shortcuts 

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/premium-tax-credit-claiming-the-cre...

( Generic Comment )"
Drphibes
Level 7
Not sure what they know that Lacerte does not. I just scoured the IRS site and do not see any new instructions out yet or modifications of the form. Hope they did not jump the gun and they end up like the unemployment exemption debacle. We do quite a few clients that are in that 150k range where unemployment would put them over. Had to stop and look back at 10 days of returns and glean out those affected.
jakeisawesome
Level 2

Updated is available as of 4/7/2021. That should fix it!