Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering Partnership Schedule K-1 line 19a into the individual model

I am new to Lacerte and cannot find exactly how to enter excess distributions reported on Schedule K-1 Form 1065 line 19a into the individual model. The best I have found is that it needs to be entered on screen 17 under dispositions. What I can't seem to figure out is how to enter it on that screen. The excess distributions should be reported under capital gains with a lower tax rate but Lacerte is not separating the amount and my client is being charged additional tax. How do I enter this so that the tax calculates correctly?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Either:

Enter specific dates (i.e when the partnership interest started) and 12/31/19 (I assume you're doing a 2019 return...) to trigger long-term treatment.

Page down a bit & look for the box to check to force long-term treatment (it's half-way down in the first section  -  right after 'Expenses of sale').  Code 51, if you speak batch entry.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

Either:

Enter specific dates (i.e when the partnership interest started) and 12/31/19 (I assume you're doing a 2019 return...) to trigger long-term treatment.

Page down a bit & look for the box to check to force long-term treatment (it's half-way down in the first section  -  right after 'Expenses of sale').  Code 51, if you speak batch entry.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

AND... since you are new to Lacerte, be sure to ask 'us' questions.  Don't spin your wheels; some of us have use this software for more decades than we like to admit and are pretty good at making it jump thru various hoops.

May I ask what software you previously used?

( Generic Comment )"

Thank you so much for the help. It did fix my problem. I previously used UltraTax and that program automatically calculated the excess distributions so I was not used to calculating it myself.