Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

electronic payment of balance due

Zwiebach cpa
Level 1

can i have electronic payment of balance due come out in july

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
steve6
Level 2

Great question, wondering same.

Can we efile now and will the balance due just not be withdrawn until July 15th Federal and June 15th CA?   

Does this include 2020 Est tax payments?

I don't trust anything about CA as they couldn't even piggy back off the federal, so two sets of rules

Anyone have any guidance here?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I am assuming that you are both referring to some news that has just come out about abating penalties and interest. 

For the 1040 and California there are separate "Electronic payment date [O]" entries. If you press each one you will see that with the current system, the date can not be after the filing date of the return. Possibly Lacerte will modify that information, but I sure would not count on it. 

If you really want to game the system, file on time to avoid late filing penalty (as of right now there is no provision for a later file date.) Override the amount being paid with a -1, then go to https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/payment?execution=e1s1 for Fed and https://www.ftb.ca.gov/pay/bank-account/index.asp for CA and set up your late payment to gain your few days of free money out of the government.

Personally, I wouldn't play that game.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
steve6
Level 2

Horrible response.  Nobody’s gaming the system.  The Treasury just made this announcement.  Where is Lacerte in their support?   Filing on time is July 15th for the federal.  I hope you aren't a Lacerte employee.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Paying on time is July 15. The announcement was just made this afternoon and there is nothing official in writing yet. What do you think Lacerte should have done in the last few hours?

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

The announcement doe NOT change the filing date. I am not an employee. Employees have cool little titles before their name like Admin, Expert, or Employee.  I do NOT have an expectation that Lacerte update the program within hours of an announcement from the Treasury. 

The headline I see and the news I can find is "U.S. Postpones April 15 Tax Payments for 90 Days for Most Americans" Nothing about changing the due date of the tax return. 

I believe my response was more informed than your question. If I am wrong, please post the IRS notice, or actual Treasury statement to correct me. I have been known to be wrong. Possibly I misread your question, in which case the short answer is NO

California has actually extended the due date https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/news-releases/2020-2-more-time-to-file-pay-for-california-...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
steve6
Level 2

Would just expect Lacerte to post a note saying they are on top of this news, as announced by the Treasury Secretary himself, and let us know when we can expect Lacerte to let us know how they are going to handle this new option, that's it.  

0 Cheers