Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ELA in 2018 classified as a NOL Carryforward to 2019 Now UPDATED for CARES

DCCPA
Level 1

Facts: Client had an ELA on 2018 Tax Return.  Carried forward as an NOL from 2018 to 2019 as reported on General Info Worksheet.  Proforma'd client in Dec 2019 from the 2018 program to be ready for tax season.

Now new CARES Act in 2018 & 2019 Program Updates.

ELA gone in the 2018 program and return calculates removing it and not carried forward as an NOL to 2019.

2019 now shows no NOL Carryforward and in Scr 48 Prior Year Summary no ELA Other Income amount.  (Wait, I proforma'd in Dec 2019, how'd that change?)

Need to file 2018 1040X to take the ELA now waived due to CARES.  When asked if you want to use the numbers when originally filed the ELA is in there!

Concern: Both programs are correct but one could have missed if one didn't review prior year workpapers and return.  Surprised Lacerte took the liberty to do this all behind the scenes but get that it is the only way to make both programs correct.  Would have expected a heads up.  Did run the Tax Law Impact app in the 2019 program so maybe they recalculated the 2018 return and reproforma'd it over within that.

Called support to confirm all this but no luck.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
abctax55
Level 15

Isn't it optional to either carry it back, or carry it forward?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Wow.... I just ran my biggest client with this issue thru the 2018 "CARES" update then re-proforma'd to 2019. 

I used a different data path - as I've already input a LOT of info into the 2019 file (25 K-1s, etc).   

I'm getting the same results as you reported.....  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers