Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

efile foreign tax credit reject

michael1
Level 2

I have a return without FTC, why am  I getting an FTC reject?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

You may have already done so but did you review all the critical diagnostics and see if there's one about F.1116 before checking them off?  If you have remnants of some old input on the form that was never cleared, that could cause a problem.

If the above doesn't apply to you, what does the rejection message say exactly?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
DeniceA
Level 2

There isn't any critical diagnostics associated with this issue.  It is being rejected when we try to e-file the tax return.

Filing Rejected - This filing was rejected by the taxing agency on March 03, 2021. You need to fix errors that caused the rejection before it can be accepted by the agency. Follow these instructions for fixing the errors and you can transmit again at no additional charge.
Reject: Error /Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ForeignTaxCreditSource/ItemizedOrStandardDeductionAmt: Data in the filing is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries  - HERE IS THE REJECTION INFORMATION

cn1
Level 2

I'm getting the same reject notice.  One has current year FTC other just has FTC carryforward.  

Reject notice

For efile purposes, Part 1, line i must include the valid entries of the name of a foreign country or U.S. possession and Part II, line L must include either date paid or accrued or "1099 Tax" literal.  Lacerte is not allowing 1099 Tax for date.  FTC coming from 1099 from a registered investment company.  Have used other country (only allowable entry from what I see for Lacerte.

Thanks for any help!

itonewbie
Level 15

@cn1 Your issue is different from the OP's.  The IRS now requires a date to be entered for e-filing.  "Various" can now be used only on returns filed on paper.  In your case, just use OC as country and 12/31/2020 as the date paid (unless your client is on accrued basis).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
cn1
Level 2

it did have a date on it. Got accepted after software update today with no changes. Thanks

0 Cheers