Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-file rejection

Hi Community

I received the following error when my federal and state returns were rejected

Reject: The Dependent/Qualifying Person Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) provided on the return is not valid. Please visit www.irs.gov/getanippin for further information and resubmit your return with the correct number.

Reject Resolution: The Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IPPIN) must match the IRS e-File database.
Double check your entry and resubmit your return with the correct number.
This entry is in Federal Taxes tab| Other Tax Situations| Other Return Info | Identity Protection Pin
For further information visit www.irs.gov/get-an-ippin.

I have done this client for 30 years. Their children do not have an identity theft PIN; they never requested one.

The field is currently blank. Nothing has changed from last year to this year. I have already sought help from Lacerte but they don't have any idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Sometimes fields LOOK empty. Enter something, then delete and try again. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Carl Carter
Level 1

My understanding is that your client's identity may have been compromised in the last year, either attempted refund theft or some other manner. The IRS will mail a letter with the PIN which I believe is a unique 5 digit pin that you must get from the client's IRS letter, and insert in that blank field. The pin will change each year until the IRS determines that they no longer have a concern with the client's identity. I have several clients who get these letters and don't know what to do and unfortunately may toss them. Good luck

0 Cheers
Kitty2327
Level 2

I got the same thing. I don't know what to do?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Ask the client for the IP PIN letter from the IRS.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Myrna
Level 1

Taxpayer has three dependents.  E-filing was rejected because: "The Dependent/Qualifying Person Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) provided on the filing is not valid."  Further, Reject Resolution:"The Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IPPIN) must match the IRS e-File database.  Double check your entry and resubmit your filing with the correct number."

There were no IPPINs put on the tax return, so I do not know what is supposed to "match."

I will attempt to contact the IRS to see if I can get any help there.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Nothing" does not match the expected IP PIN.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers