Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Lacerte automatically save my work on a client each day or do I have to do something additional?

eahrens
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are you using online or desktop?

Desktop - backup to some external device, at least daily, at least 1 external device. 

Online - I don't know. Presumably it is continually backed up.  

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
abctax55
Level 15

And during tax season... I back up a.m. & p.m.   I take the external back-up home with me; depending on my level of paranoia I may even sleep with it under my pillow.

You *can* set Lacerte to save your keypunching every few minutes (somewhere in settings...) so you don't lose your immediate work.  The shorter the "save" time, the slower the program seems to run (in my experience, YMMV).

BUT that doesn't NOT save the client file anywhere, in case of a hard drive failure.

Carbonite is touted as a good one to use to back up to the *cloud*.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, data input is saved automatically by PTO on a continuous basis.  Intuit also maintains redundant backup of the data for their benefits, not yours.  If you accidentally delete a return, however, Intuit is under no obligation to restore the data for you even if an old backup is available.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

@itonewbie Is this true for Lacerte via Real Networks? Can they even do an external backup?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, my understanding is that it is possible.  With the hosting solution, the subscriber still owns the data, which is unlike PTO.  The hosting solution merely provides a platform in the cloud to host the program and data.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/lacerte/faqs-hosting/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Your data will be saved when you close the return. There is also an autosave feature in options. Use it.

Note-this saves the data on your computer/network only. 

Ex-AllStar