Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I really need a "host" install? Using NAS for shared file directory instead?

slapwrapper
Level 1

Our resources are pushing it with 3 vm's running on a Windows Server and I'd really like to use a bare-metal hypervisor instead where the 3 vm's are all that are using the system resources. Do I really need a machine dedicated as the Lacerte host (a full installation) or can I just edit each Lacerte instance on the vm's to use a directory on my NAS for accessing the client files, etc. directories? Thank you.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
qbteachmt
Level 15
slapwrapper
Level 1

Appreciate the links but those don't really answer it. A Windows host shouldn't make a difference as far as I know since Lacerte isn't running on it in conjunction with the hosts - it just sits there. Essentially it's acting as a file/folder share. Is there something I'm missing?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"A Windows host shouldn't make a difference"

There is no Host, for NAS. That's why you can attach it physically to your Router.

The issue for NAS is "nonmanaged." The links I provided included other links.

"Lacerte isn't running on it in conjunction with the hosts"

For these types of programs and/or files, you want an installation that is also Managed, to avoid conflicts. NAS = indiscriminating library shelving.

"it just sits there."

Exactly.

"Essentially it's acting as a file/folder share. Is there something I'm missing?"

Not you. Your System is missing that there needs to be some management. This is a known issue for how NAS functions. It is part of the intent for creating and the basis for using NAS.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
slapwrapper
Level 1

Don't know why such an arrogant sounding reply was necessary. You keep saying a NAS is non-managed or headless. Synology DS's and RS's both have advanced file server level sharing, NTFS, SMB, etc., user management and load balancing. You're essentially claiming that a Windows desktop client does a better job acting as a file server than an enterprise level NAS which is simply incorrect.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Don't know why such an arrogant sounding reply was necessary."

Uh, whoa there. Slow down, partner. I had taken no such position. This is just information and you asked and it happens to be something that has been asked before, and I was comfortable helping.

Pay attention: Helping.

Because this is Peer Users and you asked a Computer Networking and systems question in a Lacerte forum.

"You're essentially claiming that a Windows desktop client does a better job acting as a file server than an enterprise level NAS which is simply incorrect."

Not at all. Intuit posted the specs and Intuit writes the programs and Intuit specifically stated in the reference I gave you that NAS is not supported. No one is commenting on NAS or NAS vs Windows. Sheesh.

Perhaps I should have given this answer first:

You seem to be lost on the internet. This is a Peer User forum for using Lacerte. Your question seems to be related to installation and to your own office network, so perhaps a Computer Support forum would be the better place to ask. Or, you might consider contacting Intuit Support for your product. Afterall, you pay enough to them for this tool, that they should be able to help.

But first, it should be noted that they have published their info that states NAS is not supported.

Glad to help. Stop by again, some time.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@slapwrapper 

As a follow up; did you even try anything you read in those other links? Because that's why I provided them.

Personally, I like NAS in specific installations for exactly what they provide. But not for RAID, for instance.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Oh, look; a new resource just got posted:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-news-updates/discussion/tips-to-keep-your-comput...

0 Cheers