Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone else get screwed by lacerte this year

richnitz
Level 2
Got quoted a price. Same discount as year before. Charged $2000 more. Spent 45 minutes on the phone that I don't have an account manager because my $13k in annual spending for a sole proprietor is not enough. I am done lacerte
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
9 Replies 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

But where have you been?  Everybody typically complains about prices back in late April or May when they send the renewal notices out.

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Tomatoes (I had to get rid of the turtles - they kept running away)
abctax55
Level 15

No, not THIS year.  Yet.

Former Chump..oops..AllStar...I used to be a people person, then people ruined it

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
IRonMaN
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

No, not THIS year.  Yet.

It's still early Smiley Happy

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Tomatoes (I had to get rid of the turtles - they kept running away)
joeacpa
Level 2

Switch to Drake....I ran all the comparisons.  Not even a question that they are the right solution for most practitioners.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Careful what you wish for.  Drake just had a venture capital organization invest in it.  Could be the creation of a new Intuit instead of an old Drake

BobKamman
Level 15

Not just any venture capitalists -- these are based in Europe.  No one had a problem when CCH/Walter Clueless moved to the Netherlands, so sharing client data with a company in Not-So-Great Britain may not raise any eyebrows.  But what if the Chinese want to buy a share?  

itonewbie
Level 15

Not sure if Drake is a fair comparison with Lacerte.

Drake is, no doubt, a capable software if you know what you are doing and don't mind rolling up your sleeves to do some number crunching.

Lacerte has more sophisticated tax logic built in so that more of what you do is automated and that translates to productivity in terms of return preparation and review, especially those that are more complex.

Just my two-cents.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

That's interesting.  I have always thought of Lacerte as the software for people with the training and experience to know what they are doing with complex returns, and Drake as the software for those just progressing beyond the Five Easy Pieces (or 1040-A's) in the HRB course final exam.  It's scary to think of Lacerte users as just trusting the software and not understanding what they are signing.  But maybe that's why Lacerte is getting more "tech" support calls than they expected (are they really tech questions, or mostly tax questions?) and Drake answers on the first ring.  

joeacpa
Level 2

Think what you will....Drake requires some honkey work arounds sometimes but the software works and if it doesn't you can override things to make it work.  There is nothing that can't be done in Drake that you can't do in CSTax or any other software I've used.  I've found calculation errors in CSTax, UltraTax and some in Drake.  It's just software that assists you.  However for someone to pay as much as the person above pays and to have no support?  That is unacceptable.

0 Cheers