Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detroit nonresident tax return

jeanne6
Level 1

I am entering a client in the 2018 program and have figured out how to code the city return on screen 54 to make it a non-resident return.   However, now the w-2 wages and withholding do not flow through onto the city return (these amounts originally flowed through onto the city tax return before I coded the return as non-resident).  I cannot see anything under the Income section which designates which city is in the "local" column.   What am I missing?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

12 Comments 12
itonewbie
Level 15

On Screen 10, did you complete the section under Michigan for "Local Wages and Withholding Information", select Detroit under City Name, and enter the correct amount of City Withholding?  If you did, that amount should flow to F.5119.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
jeanne6
Level 1

I still can't get the wages to show up in the income section of the Detroit Nonresident return, even after adding this info.  The schedule W comes out right, but the wages aren't shown on line 9 of Part 1 of the Form 5119.   I have tried to override on screen 54.149 and that is not working either.   This is extremely frustrating

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Did you enter the amount of wages taxable to Detroit on Screen 10 > State and Local > Michigan > Local Wages and Withholding Information, under the column Part Year NR Taxable Wages [O]?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Bob Saunders
Level 3

How did you get the Detroit nonresident 5119 to work instead of the resident 5118.  We have a NY client with a rental property in Detroit.  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Bob Saunders Under State & Local > Taxes > Michigan Cities, on the following lines:

• City name (Click on arrow to select from list): Select Detroit;
  • Residency (Click on arrow to select from list): Select status 2, 3, or 4, whichever is applicable.
Still an AllStar
Bob Saunders
Level 3

thanks - I see where I enter Detroit, but I do not see anywhere I can also enter a code.  Maybe it's in front of my eyes, but not seeing it.  I am on Lacerte - is this a Proseries thing?  The next line is P.O. Box mailing address.  Wish there was a way to attached a screenshot

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Sorry I spoke the wrong language (in PTO).

Lacerte-speak, it should be Screen 54.149 for Michigan Cities.  Under Cities on the left panel, click on 1.  You'll find the entries on the input screen for City Name (Ctrl+T) and Residency (Ctrl+T).

Still an AllStar
Bob Saunders
Level 3

perfect - thanks   I was in the general info section above that

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @Bob Saunders!  Glad it helps.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
DanInHB
Level 1

Very helpful - it answered my question.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
KFah
Level 1

I am using ProConnect and am having the same trouble.  Form 5118 is populating instead of 5119 and I cannot for the life of me correct it!  I have tried the Michigan cities as you suggest, but the residency portion is not there?

0 Cheers
BPICPA
Level 1

Go to exactly where the red circle is.. Do not got to "Gen Info & Contrib" above itCapture.PNG

0 Cheers