Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduction of unamortized mortgage points

Huizilopochtli
Level 2

I have a client who refinanced his house.  The prior loan still had an unamortized point balance from the original mortgage.

I've been tracking the original mortgage points as a Schedule A, Amortization category item.

Been through the form/page many times and I cannot see how I can close this out to trigger the deduction of the full unused balance on the client's Schedule A.

If you can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Huizilopochtli
Level 2

I found the field...probably glided by it multiple times...

Simply enter the refi date on the first line in the "General Disposition Information" section...

Again, thank you to those who responded...

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15
Enter a date of sale.
Enter remaining balance as current year depreciation.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Does the schedule A input have a box that says disposed or ended or closed loan, thereby deducting the rest?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@Accountant-Man Lacerte sets this up as a depreciation item. If it is properly tied to Schedule A points, then my answer was not totally correct. The only entry needed to claim the full balance is to enter a date of sale and the program will take cost - accum amort = remaining balance and take that deduction.

Lacerte is WAY DIFFERENT in many of it's approach to things. If you want to add some excitement and frustration to your life you can try Proconnect Tax for free online. You really should just to see how very different the approach is. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Huizilopochtli
Level 2

To clarify further, the loan amortization on the original loan (which has now been replaced by a refinancing) was set up in Screen 22 - Depreciation.  The item was coded as "Form 8" and "Class 8" - both references to Amortization.

Under Asset Information, it was coded as "Form (Crtl+T) - Schedule A (points)".

There is no place, at least that I can see, where one enters a date of sale (i.e. - refinancing).

I have tried multiple other paths...no success.

I'm about ready to just hard plug it in, but am hoping that someone can show me the correct way to code this.

Thank you to all for your feedback.  Much appreciated.

0 Cheers
Huizilopochtli
Level 2

I found the field...probably glided by it multiple times...

Simply enter the refi date on the first line in the "General Disposition Information" section...

Again, thank you to those who responded...

Accountant-Man
Level 12

No, thanks. entering -1 to show zero is as much as I can handle.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers