Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

death of spouse

gk1
Level 2

for a mfs return the spouse date of death field not active (grayed out).  is this required?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like it isn't required since you aren't filing for the deceased spouse.

Slava Ukraini!
Carol65
Level 3

When did the spouse die?  Depending on the date and circumstances you may need to file the return as married filing joint and then you would input the date of death.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

There are many circumstances when a decedent's surviving spouse should choose to file MFS.  No one over "needs" to file MFJ.  But if an MFJ was filed in error, the decedent's executor/personal representative (who can be the surviving spouse) has a year to amend to MFS.  

Carol65
Level 3

You are correct.  I should have said depending on the circumstances you may choose to file MFJ.

PPECPA
Level 4

Follow up on this.  If the tax payer passes away in 2021, the surviving spouse can file a MFJ return.  That said, if the deceased  spouse (husband) is the the taxpayer, is he still shown on the return as the tax payer, or does the spouse become the taxypayer (i.e. do I change the taxpayer to the spouse)? 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

The husband is always shown first even when he is deceased. Very Chavulnistic.

0 Cheers
PPECPA
Level 4

This is a first year client, so I put the wife as the taxpayer and the husband as the spouse and also put in the date of death.  Return seems fine and is a MFJ tax return with the return showing the husband as deceased in the tax year.  

I think I'm good to go

sjrcpa
Level 15

@rcooley25 Not true. Either spouse can be shown first.

I've got a number of MFJ clients where the wife is listed first.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, I'm not a chauvinist but I am lazy.  If I have a female client that gets married, she is listed as the taxpayer.  I also have had new clients that went that route and I continued with it. 

Slava Ukraini!
PPECPA
Level 4

I think I have the answer I was looking for.  Thanks!