Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Client so I can file amended return 1040X

BON
Level 3

Do I have to assign a new client number when I make a copy of return that has already been e-filed?  I get an error that I can not make a copy using the original client number.  Then do I have to get REP access again if I have a new client number and will I be charged for the REP access again?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Copy the client. Assign a number that indicates it's the original; we append "AOF" for "as originally filed." Amend the already-REPped file with the unchanged number.

I believe that the current system won't charge a second REP fee if the last name, SSN, and states are unchanged, even if the client number changes (or is new). But I don't believe in it so strongly that I personally re-REP every copied file. I tend to use the all-9s as SSN method for what-ifs involving multiple states, and having an un-REPped copy of the file for the original when something needs to be amended.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Copy the client. Assign a number that indicates it's the original; we append "AOF" for "as originally filed." Amend the already-REPped file with the unchanged number.

I believe that the current system won't charge a second REP fee if the last name, SSN, and states are unchanged, even if the client number changes (or is new). But I don't believe in it so strongly that I personally re-REP every copied file. I tend to use the all-9s as SSN method for what-ifs involving multiple states, and having an un-REPped copy of the file for the original when something needs to be amended.