Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting rental house to personal residence

marksmithcpa
Level 2

How do I save the passive loss carryover information for a rental house that has been converted to a personal residence?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

I use Screen 47 and record all the Passive Loss and depreciation information. 

I would enter the depreciation date of sale, with no sales price, just as @itonewbie indicated.

Do not enter either 1= delete this year or 2=delete next year in the entry right above income. That will allow the Passive loss info to carry into next year, which will give you a nice summary at the bottom of the rental schedule next year. Next year record it in the notes, then delete the rental. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

In each of the assets, under Deposition, enter a date on the line for Date sold, disposed, or retired (MANDATORY) to retire the asset.  However, I believe the asset retired will not be rolled over to subsequent years, so you probably need to keep the info as part of the carryforward notes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

I use Screen 47 and record all the Passive Loss and depreciation information. 

I would enter the depreciation date of sale, with no sales price, just as @itonewbie indicated.

Do not enter either 1= delete this year or 2=delete next year in the entry right above income. That will allow the Passive loss info to carry into next year, which will give you a nice summary at the bottom of the rental schedule next year. Next year record it in the notes, then delete the rental. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
marksmithcpa
Level 2

Thanks!  I appreciate the help!

marksmithcpa
Level 2

Thanks very much!

itonewbie
Level 15

We appreciate you twice as much for the two thank you messages! 😊

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar