Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Organizers

EdDower
Level 1

What is the best way to send clients their 2020 tax organizer?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

No different from this year.  That depends on the profile of your clients.

If they are tech savvy and so are you to some extent, through a client portal perhaps?

If your clients are not as tech savvy but work with you remotely, perhaps PDF organizer over emails with encryption?

If your clients are more old fashion and prefer everything on paper, perhaps dispatching paper organizers the old fashion way by snail mail?

No one cookie cutter solutions.  All depends on your clients' profile and preference...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
itonewbie
Level 15

No different from this year.  That depends on the profile of your clients.

If they are tech savvy and so are you to some extent, through a client portal perhaps?

If your clients are not as tech savvy but work with you remotely, perhaps PDF organizer over emails with encryption?

If your clients are more old fashion and prefer everything on paper, perhaps dispatching paper organizers the old fashion way by snail mail?

No one cookie cutter solutions.  All depends on your clients' profile and preference...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
EdDower
Level 1

Thank you for your advice. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

1. Don't print them as soon as the organizer is released. There is often a glitch or two or three or ... with the first release. There might also be some last minute tax legislation to include. I wait until mid January.

2. My old time approach is two sided printing. Cover letter/Engagement Letter, 2 page condensed questionnaire, then the organizer sheets. Most will tri fold and fit into a standard window envelope, saving on postage. 

3. I have dms, but any print to pdf works. Print  at least one to pdf and carefully review how it formats. Recheck spelling and grammar. Wait until the next release (update) and repeat. 

I am semi retired and only take on new clients if they promise to die before I do. This really means they like paper. I have ONE young 75 year old that LOVES the eOrganizer, so I try to keep him happy.  

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Even double-sided I can't believe Organizers fit into a standard window envelope, well done sir! 👏

We overburden even using Condensed Organizer pages. And pages created outside Lacerte - Engagement Letter, IRA Minimum Distribution, and the "Welcome to the Season" letter pleading for, at a minimum, answers to the Miscellaneous Yes or No questions (which have always been/are complete [bleep!]  😠 to customize.)

Many seem to use it as a Security Blanket. Half or more don't fill it in. But same will anxiously call if it doesn't hit their mailbox when they believe it should (we aim for early January.)

Just pure gold here 🤣 "only take on new clients if they promise to die before I do"-- @George4Tacks 

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
EdDower
Level 1

Thank you for your advice. I am wondering what happens when an organizer is e-mailed to a client. How is the completed organizer returned?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

The product is called e- Organizer

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1040/help/sending-an-e-organizer-in-the-lacerte-program...

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/importing-an-e-organizer-returned-from-the-t...

I personally do not like the product. Client fills in an organizer, sends it back to us, then we need to VERY CAREFULLY review the information the not so savvy client filled in. 

EDIT: There is a third party vendor that offers creating a fillable pdf product. I like this concept better than the e-organizer, but I have not used it. It effectively is the same as the paper organizer, but it can be digitally transferred. https://www.pdfautomationstation.com/products/item22.cfm

sjrcpa
Level 15

I like the e-Organizer, but I only send it those clients I think can do a decent job filling it out.

Ex-AllStar
EdDower
Level 1

Thank you for your advice. I now have another question regarding how a client can re-access his client organizer once he has accepted the invitation. How does the client re-access his information one he begins receiving Forms 1099s and other tax documents?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

The e-organizer becomes an app on the clients computer. There is an icon on their desktop. They fill in the data and when they are happy with it, they push a button and it is sent back to the preparer to review. It does not have any means of doing attachments. The client either mails, e-mail (not safe) or uploads to a secure portal the prepare maintains. Alternatively they are given the opportunity to experience LINK. 

My suggestion is that you be your first client. Try link to yourself. Send an e-organizer to yourself. See how the product works on the client side, before you send it out to your clients.

Personally, my clients are generally close by, so pickup and delivery is possible. My remote clients don't do technology, so USPS does a bang up job. I do not use link and only have 1 client that seems to LOVE e-organizer.