Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cancelling an electronic payment

jeff4
Level 1

I scheduled an electronic payment of 2019 federal tax due, to be paid on April 15, 2020 (before corona).

I am being told I need to cancel that payment and re-schedule for July 15, 2020.

How do I cancel the 4/15/20 payment which has already been e-filed?

Thank you.

Stay safe.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

12 Comments 12
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you google   IRS EFW    you'll find the site with the number to call to cancel the Electronic Funds Withdrawal

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

This is why I use payment vouchers 😁

Slava Ukraini!
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Why do you "need to cancel?" We've always had the ability to pay at any time, just not after April 15.

IS IT REQUIRED TO PAY JULY 15, or just allowed?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Accountant-Man
Level 12

FYI, I am telling my clients this:

AT THIS TIME, I can e-file today, but I can only debit on April 15, not yet July 15. We have only three options to debit: 1) E-file now and debit April 15; 2) Delay e-filing until after April 15, when the software should be changed by then; or 3) Extend the returns so I can debit on July 15.

Do you have a choice?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
IRonMaN
Level 15

@Accountant-Man wrote:

Why do you "need to cancel?" We've always had the ability to pay at any time, just not after April 15.

IS IT REQUIRED TO PAY JULY 15, or just allowed?

Thank you AM.  That is what is driving me crazy with these posts.  You know pretty much everyone that is asking for the new date has the cash, they just want to play the game.  

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

4)  You file the return now and the clients can put on their big boy/girl panties and initiate their own electronic debit on the IRS DirectPay website closer to July.

rayc325
Level 2

All returns are automatically extended until July 15. I would like to know if the program will be updated to allow a payment date of July 15 without calculating a penalty, if we want to go ahead and file the returns now.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Here is the official Lacerte ALERT dated 3/24 https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-news-and-updates/discussion/how-do-i-cancel-or-chang...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Illni
Level 4

This only addresses Federal tax payments. How about State tax payments? How do we cancel those?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

I suggest you call the State in question, OR check that state's website.

The software doesn't have & won't have the ability to do it for you or your client.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I know CA has a number you can call...I would guess other states have something similar.

Illni
Level 4

Maine has no way to change it. They tell us "whoever" set up the payment on the internet has to log in and change the dates of payment. Good luck getting Lacerte to do that for us!!! Supposedly a sign in name and password is used but that would have been done behind the scenes electronically by Lacerte, not by me or the client. It's a catch-22 -- we can't get in because we aren't the ones who put it in there to begin with, Lacerte did (the Maine EZPay web site).

0 Cheers