Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you e-file a partnership return with "EIN Applied For" in the EIN field?

Tolly
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can get an EIN online in about 5 minutes.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

No

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can get an EIN online in about 5 minutes.

Ex-AllStar
Tolly
Level 3

Not on Saturday or Sunday. It is a brother and sister vacation rental property. They don't have a name picked out or an LLC yet. I know you don't need an LLC to file a partnership return, but now that they know they are a partnership the want an LLC. I think I will just extend it with the name they have picked out with EIN applied for. Manually if I have to. I hope I won't incur  additional REP fees.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

So you're going to file an extension for a 2019 LLC tax return when the LLC did not exist in 2019?

Ex-AllStar
Tolly
Level 3

Well, maybe not my best idea. The LLC is not in existence yet but the partnership was formed in 2019. They are going to form an LLC. My thought was to get the LLC EIN on 3/16/20 and file the return with that EIN. Then form the LLC.

I suppose I should get an EIN for a partnership name for 2019 and file under that. Then get the LLC set up in 2020 and use the new name and EIN.

I'm not inclined to file two partnership returns in 2020 so I would probably have to use the non LLC partnership for 2020 then have a tax free exchange to the LLC on 1/1/21 nd use the LLC in 2021.

My original idea is easier and harmless but not technically correct.

Any thoughts?

0 Cheers