Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the "Organization Name" field length be increased?

The "Organization Name" field is too short for a non-profit organization name as it appears in the IRS EO-BMF.     The e-file fails transmission.

Can the field length be increased for "Organization Name"?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TylorValdez1
Employee
Employee
6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

No. 

Use some abbreviations. The true name is their EIN, so just make it work. If you want it to show up on a search, I would do some truncating at the end. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

"The e-file fails transmission"   

Why? I doubt it's the length of the name. IRS sets the efile specs and they usually truncate a long name.

Ex-AllStar

Why fail transmission?  Here is the diagnostic, which is why I looked to EO BMF and name mismatch in the first place:

"e-file: E-File rejections can be a result of the information entered for this organization may not match the IRS Exempt Organization Business Master File (EO BMF). The mismatch can the Name, EIN, tax year end etc.  Go verify the information at https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/exempt-organizations-business-master-file-extract-eo-bmf. (ref. #53282)"

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't think that has anything to do with the length of the name. My guess would be a year end discrepancy. 

I once had a nonprofit that filed on a calendar year basis for years. Then IRS changed it to a June year end in their system causing an efile reject. I straightened it out for that year, and they did it again the next year.

I'd call the eservices help desk and see what the problem is. EDIT: Or what did using that link tell you?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers

That link gave me a CSV file. My client was on the CSV but the Name was longer than what Lacerte allowed, so thought it was a mismatch. Other replies are saying that should not matter. I tried submission again and found when I moused over the "US Failed Transmission" message under "Activity":

"The program did not successfully transmit the tax filing. The filing failed pre-submission validation. Validation Failure: Error 854: Your E-fling privaleges (sic) have been temporarily disabled by Lacerte. Please verify the 1 EFIN number associated to your account at LacerteAccountants.com/EFIN-Facts"

However, I get "This site can't be reached" when I try going to LacerteAccountants.com so, another dead-end.

0 Cheers
TylorValdez1
Employee
Employee

Follow the step in the article below to register your EFIN with Intuit. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/license-information/help/register-your-efin-with-intuit-befo...