Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a trust make a Section 645 election?

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

I am working on a trust filing an initial tax return. I have a copy of the trust agreement (pretty generic revocable trust). The grantor died in July 2020. So this is the first year of the trust.

In 2020, the trust received $300,000 in annuity income reported on Form 1099-R. No distributions were made to the beneficiaries in 2020. Since we are past the 65-day period (March 6, 2021) in which they could have made distributions to the beneficiaries and because I don't now want the trust to pay a huge tax on the $300,000 of annuity income, can I make a Section 645 election so that the trust will still be within its fiscal year and be bale to push the income to the beneficiaries (via Sched K-1) and pay tax on the income at a lower tax rate? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes. Pick June 30, 2021 year end and get that money distributed by then.

Make sure no on else plans to file a 1041 for the estate.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

Isn't this the same as what you already have going, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/trust-tax-return-questi...

Because Bob gave you a great link there.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.