Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA principal residence address (if different) failing diagnostic #55186 but address is present

ScottM
Level 3

Getting the following diagnostic error "e-file: The Principal Residence Address (if different) in the California Miscellaneous screen is not complete.  It is missing one or more of following: Domestic - Street Address, City, Zip Code, or Foreign - Street Address, City, Region, Postal Code or Country. (ref. #55186)"

I do have a fully populated Domestic street address, including an apartment number.  No foreign address populated (it should be an "or" condition because you can't have both).  But Critical diagnostic is preventing me from e-filing.  Is this a bug, or is there some checkbox or something I'm missing?  Populating or leaving the preceding override question blank "Principal/physical resident address same..." makes no difference.

Thanks

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

Screen 3, California Miscellaneous

Did you select the county from the dropdown? If so, GOOD.

Did you make an entry in the box right after that? If so, BAD, unless you complete the different address that follows that box. 

Notice the [O] that means Override, which you typically DO NOT WANT TO DO. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
ScottM
Level 3

Thanks  for the quick  reply.  Yes, I did choose the correct county in the drop down.  No, I didn't populate the override (actually, I've tried blank, 1, and 2 in this box and none of the options make any difference).

I DID populate the address that follows because that is my situation.  The mailing address for the tax return is not the same as the principal residence, and therefore I need to populate the principal residence.  

The problem, is that even though the principal residence is populated (street address, apt #, city, state, zip), the diagnostic #55168 continues to appear, and I can't simply click the checkbox to clear it.  It continues to prohibit e-filing as long as the diagnostic is present.  

I have a suspicion that the code is looking for domestic address AND foreign address, when it should be looking for domestic OR foreign?

ScottM
Level 3

A-ha!  More interesting data.

The diagnostic disappears if I populate a country (not county) in the Foreign address section (even with only a U.S. address populated).  So there is probably a flag in the business rule requiring the population of the Country.  The problem is, there is no "Unites States of America" as this country field belongs to the "Foreign" section, not the "U.S." section.

So, I can clear the diagnostic with a domestic address of, for example, Long Beach, California, (USA) AND the "Foreign" country of "United Kingdom" populated.  Which is of course incorrect, and there's no way I would e-file a return that way.

Business rule should be something like "if U.S. State and ZIP are populated, then Foreign Country must be blank; if U.S. State and ZIP are not populated, AND Foreign Region and Postal Code are populated, then require that Foreign Country is selected".

So how do we report bugs?

Thanks!

George4Tacks
Level 15
Use Ctrl + L to start an email communication with Lacerte.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

@George4Tacks thanks for the heads up, I am taking a look and I will update you with what I am able to find @ScottM 

-Betty Jo 

ScottM
Level 3

Looks like this was resolved in the last update, as the diagnostic has disappeared and I am able to eFile these clients now.  Thanks!

Hi Betty Jo,

Did you get an answer?  It is 2022 and the problem still exists.

@IntuitBettyJo 

0 Cheers