Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billions and Billions

fastfile
Level 2

Hi, 

Does someone know if Lacerte will handle Sch D 10-figure numbers?  

I have a client with over a billion in transactions.

Thanks,

RK, EA

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Not sure I'd want to submit a bunch of negative numbers to the IRS as part of a tax return.  Looks like Lacerte is using a 32-bit register and your stack overflowed and wrapped back around to negative numbers.

2^32 = 4294967296

From your screen cap:

4038716428 (correct amt) + 256,250,868 (negative reported amt) = 4294967296

Mmmm, math.  I would assume there's as much negative space as positive space so your upper limit would probably be 2147483648 - 1 = 2,147,483,647.  So total gross proceeds over that amount and Lacerte will choke too.

Rick

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
itonewbie
Level 15

Asking the same question more than once won't get you an answer twice as good.  Many have already pitched in with what they know.  If you have anything to add, please just add to the original thread.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/numbers-over-a-billion/01/7...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

OP is now asking about Lacerte.

Before it was ProSeries.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@sjrcpaIC.  Thanks for pointing that out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

de nada

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

If it's Lacerte/PTO, looks like the system cannot accept any line item in excess of $999,999,999 but it can handle aggregates in excess of $1,000,000,000.

Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

Yes, SORTA!

Big numbers give this rejection:

billion01.JPG

You can "cheat" by making multiple entries such as this:

Billion02.JPG

This does not create any diagnostic errors, but it does not print very well.

billion03.JPG

BUT it does successfully create an e-file. 

billion04.JPG

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
rbynaker
Level 13

Not sure I'd want to submit a bunch of negative numbers to the IRS as part of a tax return.  Looks like Lacerte is using a 32-bit register and your stack overflowed and wrapped back around to negative numbers.

2^32 = 4294967296

From your screen cap:

4038716428 (correct amt) + 256,250,868 (negative reported amt) = 4294967296

Mmmm, math.  I would assume there's as much negative space as positive space so your upper limit would probably be 2147483648 - 1 = 2,147,483,647.  So total gross proceeds over that amount and Lacerte will choke too.

Rick

itonewbie
Level 15

Wow, Rick, I'm impressed!  This math is over my head but you have it figured out real good, down to the dollar!

Here's what it looks like at 2,147,483,647.

CG Limit 2.png

And here's what it looks like with $1 more...

CG Limit 1.png

Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

I have asked @IntuitAustin on more than one occasion for limits that Lacerte might have, but have never received a definitive answer. I guess Rick gave us at least one limit of 2^32 - 1 AND I learned some more HTML!

BUT this wonderful does not accept <sup>!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
rbynaker
Level 13

@itonewbie wrote:

Wow, Rick, I'm impressed!  This math is over my head but you have it figured out real good, down to the dollar!

Are you saying I solved a problem you didn't know you had in a way you didn't understand?

I think that means I can go to bed now!

itonewbie
Level 15

@rbynakerLol, I did, didn't I?  That proves you're one heck of an accountant! 🤣

Still an AllStar
fastfile
Level 2

So glad you boys stayed up all night to figure it out!

For me, my client does not have over $2B in transactions, just over $1B, so this may work. 

The problems of the rich are different than the problems you and I have....

RK, EA

User FIDO 61
Level 8

tenor

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪