Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to Feed Up Business

jknecht
Level 3

I have a new client that went and opened two businesses.....both LLCs.

One is a single member LLC (CO) that has feeds a partnership (WY).

Trying to figure out the best way to set these up within LaCerte so that it flows properly....

The Single Member LLC is earning all the money and the WY Business is just a pass through.

Thanks in advance.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Entity owned by two partners files a 1065 Partnership return. The 1065 includes the activity of the SMLLC that it owns.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Can you clarify what you mean by "feeds"?   Do you mean that the SMLLC is owned by the Partnership?

The SMLLC is "disregarded".  So if it is a owned by the Partnership, all income and expenses are reported on the Partnership return.  Nothing is done for the SMLLC (at least on the Federal level).

jknecht
Level 3

Yes....the SMLLC is owned by the Partnership...

So nothing at the Fed level meaning no return but for CO....I would as that is where the money was earned.

Then for SCorp I file the Fed.

Should I do the SMLLC in a Partnership return and the SCorp as a 1065?

Thanks

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Where did the S Corp come from?

As Bill said a SMLLC is disregarded so you don't prepare a partnership return for it. You don't prepare a partnership return for an S corp either.

Start over:

Who owns the SMLLC?

Who owns the Partnership LLC?

Which entity(ies), if any, made an S election?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
jknecht
Level 3

SMLLC is owned by an Entity

Entity is owned by two partners

No S Corp election yet.

Thanks

0 Cheers
Mascafe
Level 2

Sounds like a problem you should send to someone else.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Entity owned by two partners files a 1065 Partnership return. The 1065 includes the activity of the SMLLC that it owns.

Ex-AllStar