Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-withdrawal of tax due on 2020 federal tax return

lmscpa
Level 3

I prepared a return back in February and the client requested that the balance of tax due on her return be withdrawn from her bank account. At that time, the date for the withdrawal was April 15. Now when I look at the letter for her return, it says the withdrawal will take place on May 17. Which is it?

I know that last year, all payments scheduled through the electronic filing of the return were still going to be taken on April 15 even though the filing and paying date had been changed to July 15. If the client wanted to change that, they they had to contact the IRS to cancel the payment and make other arrangements for paying the tax on the new due date. Is that the same for this year?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

If it was efiled with the April 15 payment date, that's when it will be paid.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

If it was efiled with the April 15 payment date, that's when it will be paid.

Ex-AllStar
lmscpa
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

That's what I thought since that's how it was last year, but I didn't see anything on this Lacerte board that said specifically one way or the other.

pamdory
Level 8

This is one of the reasons I've started locking returns this year.  In the past I never felt the need, but after last season and this one I've started to lock the return.  

When I get the federal and state EF acceptance I pass the 8879s to my office manager and she locks the return then files the form.

0 Cheers
BonnieSD
Level 1

Just trying to get confirmation for my own understanding.  If we e-filed prior to Lacerte updating the software to reflect the new filing deadline, and we left the withdrawal date (which is an override) blank, which should therefore then default to the filing deadline, the funds will be withdrawn on the original April 15 rather than the updated May 17 filing deadline?  The e-file acceptance letter does state that the funds will be withdrawn on April 15.  So even though we indicated (by not filling out a withdrawal date) that we wanted the funds to be withdrawn on the due date (May 17), the funds will be pulled on April 15 because we e-filed prior to Lacerte updating its software?  

0 Cheers