Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attached file not deleting

Drphibes
Level 7

So I have two clients, ton of stock sales, which I attached a .pdf in the EF area (like every year).  First one had a Lacerte filed size of 46mb and would not e-file with all the attachments for stock sales (20mb Lacerte file size max was the e-file returned diagnostic).  Removed the attachments save for a 466kb (that's KB not MB) page of non-reported sales, set up to e-mail the file (working remotely), and it is the same file size as the original with no attachments showing in EF screen aside from the single 466kb attachment.  Have rebooted computer with same result.  Acting like the delete attachment is not working.  Have it submitted for help, any help here?  The other one is 60mb and have not yet tried to submit. 

Thanks in advance,

D. Phibes

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Drphibes
Level 7

So the problem persisted even removing all attachments.  What I had to do was go to the EF folder in the Lacerte directory for 2020 and rename the file extension for my client from .IEO to .old and let the program create another fresh .IEO file, problem solved.  Learn something new every day.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are you clicking the delete button I circled here? 

Delete PDF.JPG

The actual pdf does not go away, since it is a file on your computer. The attachment to that file should go away once you click Delete.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Drphibes
Level 7

Thanks George, that is exactly how I deleted the attachments but Lacerte file size when I go to e-mail it is the same as before deleting the attachment and is too big to e-mail or e-file.  I have the file sent to Lacerte as a service request to see what they think.  I have also tried the same thing with another client that the Lacerte file is even larger (60mb) and is also the same size without the attachments as described for the above.  Something is not working right.

0 Cheers
Bcpa
Level 2

Have you tried clearing the efile?  Under the E File menu, there is an "E File support tools" which brings up a sub menu with the option to "clear return".

While I'd think reprocessing (Step 2 under the E File menu) would overwrite the original efile, for some reason maybe its not reallocating file size.

Just a thought: I do not know if that will solve your issue.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

It appears you are having difficulty with the pdf file size for the return that is printed. That has been an issue for a few years and here is where you can vote to try to get Lacerte to address that issue. https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-idea-exchange/reduce-pdf-size/idi-p/124015

Your file size is HUGE. Rather than e-mail you should likely begin to use a portal to transfer files.  Mozilla Thunderbird recently launched their version https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/filelink-large-attachments

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Drphibes
Level 7

So the problem persisted even removing all attachments.  What I had to do was go to the EF folder in the Lacerte directory for 2020 and rename the file extension for my client from .IEO to .old and let the program create another fresh .IEO file, problem solved.  Learn something new every day.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

These are all "noncovered" transactions, without proceeds and cost basis already being reported to IRS?  What and where are they trading?

0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

LOTS of very old shares that got broken up and spread amongst 9 different new brokerage houses so they had to be provided the basis from taxpayers records (Taxpayer serious about his basis records).  BIG money.  All cleared up now after reducing .pdf size, eliminating all but non-covered sheets, and clearing the EF file.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Nine brokers?  What's his problem, he's worried about the $500K SIPC insurance maximum?  Reminds me of the lottery winners that went to all the banks in town when they collected their first million.  Well, I guess it's better than holding the stock certificates in a safe deposit box (at least until the bank burns down).  

0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

He is testing each one to see who can make him the most money over the next 5 years and then move what he has not yet moved and the money from the loser brokers into the top 2 brokerage accounts that made him money.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Good idea.  Past performance is always a guarantee of future results.