Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Demo/Sample returns available in Lacerte?

Karl
Level 8
Level 8

When I started with Lacerte in 2017, I remember being shown an alternate location (I think "Settings">"System File Path") where I could change to a set of demo returns to play around with.

I'm trying to find that in this year's software, and I'm wondering if it's still available, if it has to be requested, etc.  I want to have some pre-populated data that 1) I could play with, and 2) that I could record and make client education videos out of, without having to build a whole dummy return myself.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
IntuitRebecca

Yes, demo data should have been installed with your Lacerte 2020. If you used the program's default settings when you installed, this is how you can access it:

• Click the Settings menu at the top of Lacerte, then click on Options. 
  • On the Setup tab, locate the Data Path (first item listed).
  • Change this data path to C:\Lacerte\20tax\DemoData

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

The demo clients are helpful, but any return can be a demo client. Be sure the SSN or EIN is all 9s, eg. 999-99-9999  You will have to do REP, but there will be no charge. You can print, but it will be watermarked. You can even do sample e-file. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

When I do this, it tells me that a "20TAX" folder doesn't exist in that path and asks me if I want to create it.  When I click "yes," after it restarts the program, it just duplicates my client returns.  What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot 2021-03-17 220804.jpg

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

What I do is restore the demo data and mix with my regular data. Restore from C:\Lacerte\20tax\Demodata

What you did wrong was get too excited in making the path long. NORMAL data is at C:\Lacerte|\20Tax\?data for idata (1040), cdata (corp),  etc Each of the modules have demos in the same demodata file so you wan do paragraph one for each module.

Be sure to check the main EIN or SSN is all 9's before processing. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns