Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any caution on E-filing the Federal Tax Return, and doing MN Tax Return after the fact?

lori1
Level 3

We are waiting on potential Minnesota unemployment tax law changes. Federal has already approved and the software is updated.  Until we know what MN will do, is it okay to e-file Federal and do MN later? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

One other thing to consider ... Minnesota is good at 'fixing' things due to retroactive law changes.  If you file now and the law retroactively changes later, it is very likely the state will just fix things and automatically send out refunds for the adjustments.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes, but how long are you going to be willing to wait?  The Minnesota Democratic House narrowly passed a law dealing with unemployment last week, but the law is tied to an increase in tax rates.  The chances of a Republican controlled Senate passing that bill is somewhere between zilch and none.  Back to the drawing board.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

One other thing to consider ... Minnesota is good at 'fixing' things due to retroactive law changes.  If you file now and the law retroactively changes later, it is very likely the state will just fix things and automatically send out refunds for the adjustments.

lori1
Level 3

We considered that they would take care of it after the fact but unfortunately our confidence level isn't high as to when they will correct the issue as we have clients waiting on 2019 refunds yet and prefer if possible to put out more a final product.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I have high confidence in the State of Minnesota.

I have very low confidence in Intuit producing an accurate product.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I have high confidence with the folks working for the MN Dept of Rev.  I have low confidence in the folks making the laws that the folks in the Dept of Revenue have to follow.  I was sitting on returns for awhile but there is no way that the state is going to pass legislation and then have software ready to roll before May 17th.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That's a better way of saying it.  I should have said "MN Department of Revenue"; I wouldn't want people to mistakenly think I have any confidence in politicians.   😁