Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 1040 Form 8879

JCH453
Level 1

In doing 2020 individual 1040s we are finding that the year does appear on the top of the 8879 form.  Is everyone having the same problem or is there something that we need to fix.  The year appears on all the other forms.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15
There is now a FILL IN THE BLANK for the year. That way there is no need to produce a new one each year. It will surely save the governments Bazillions of dollars.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

The IRS changed the form.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8879.pdf

George4Tacks
Level 15
There is now a FILL IN THE BLANK for the year. That way there is no need to produce a new one each year. It will surely save the governments Bazillions of dollars.

taxlady49
Level 1

The current year shows on my screen(before I manually input the tax year ending block) but will not print.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@taxlady49 How do you manually input that year ending number? Why would you manually input that year ending number? This is new for the 2020 year. The 8879 is intended only to be used for the 2020 year, so it prints 2020 without any messing about.

Are you dealing with something besides an Individual 1040 return? 

0 Cheers
FormerIRS
Level 1

This is not solved and I believe this is a MAJOR ISSUE. Please either prefill or place an error message to solve this. I just discovered today and according to the various group I am in, this is not known by many. 

I am worried that the IRS may say this is a penalty carrying error. ProSeries user

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@FormerIRS This is a Lacerte discussion, but I can not imagine the PS has any problem either. The nice big bold 2020 that seems to be missing is only a smaller 2020 that I have circled on the sample 8879. I am pretty sure that there is no problem. Maybe this picture will help.

Capture.JPG

David Stone
Level 2

This website is so bad, it takes you to Lacerte or still has answers to 2004 issues. There is a problem, in PS nobody told us about this and there is no error telling us to fill this in. 

Thank you

0 Cheers
JCH453
Level 1

We have found that no special entry is necessary.  When we enter a 2020 return information in the 2020 module, it automatically puts the year on the form.  It just isn't bold and at  the top of the form as before.  We do not have to do any special entry  to get the 2020 to show up.  

George4Tacks
Level 15

@JCH453 wrote:

We have found that no special entry is necessary.  When we enter a 2020 return information in the 2020 module, it automatically puts the year on the form.  It just isn't bold and at  the top of the form as before.  We do not have to do any special entry  to get the 2020 to show up.  

0 Cheers